Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2015 00:00

Storage node on virtual machine

Hi,

I have a physical Networker server V 8.1.1.9 running on a Win2008-R2 server. This server is connected to a FC switch and sees a taperobot with 4 LTO5 tapedrives. I now want to install a Storage node that sees 1 tapedrive of that robot. I would like to use a virtual Win2008-R2 server for that that runs on a Win2008-R2 or Win2012-R2 (later) Hyper-V host.

My questions:

- Is that possible anyhow ?

- What do i have to do ?
- Is there any documentation about this setup ?

- IS there anybody with experience on that ?

Best regards,

Johan

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

August 27th, 2015 07:00

Johan,

if you want to use a Windows 2008 as a storage node while also act as a Storage node, i don't see any issues there. In my my environment we have a number of Hyper V hosts which are also NetWorker servers (small data zone) with no issues. I would however ensure the HBA used to connect to SAN storage are not used for tape connections.

79 Posts

That is the essence of my question .... can i use a virtual server as a storage node ? Does it work ? Can it work ?

Rgds,

Johan

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

I would not use a virtual machine as a storage node with a physical tape drive.

79 Posts

Hi,

I would put a separate Fibre HBA on the Hyper-V Host where a virtual Windows 2008-R2 server called SNSRV runs as a storage node. On the virtual switch on the host i would configure the Fibre card as seen by the - storage node SNSRV.
I would connect the HBA on the Host to my fibre switch. I hope that with this config, the Storage node SNSRV would see the jukebox/tapedrices that are connected to the same FC switch.

Does this sound reasonable ?

Rgds,

Johan

6 Posts

August 27th, 2015 17:00

We have a new implementation and with few test i dont see any limitations. My vm has 10 gig NICs. I do see performance issues with our NDMP Isilon backups, but that might be another issue. Anyone do NDMP Isilon backs? If so, what performance are you getting?

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

August 28th, 2015 00:00

Johan,

You might have to reach out to support in case this is an internal KB. for anything else you might have to look for Networker while papers on the support site.

79 Posts

August 28th, 2015 00:00

article-virtual-storage-node.JPG.jpgHi,

I read on the webpage nsrd.info the following. See picture. Apparently there is/was an internel document at EMC concerning virtualize Networker storage nodes. Somebody wrote that in March 2015. Is the document widely available now ? How can i get it ?

Tx

Johan

No Events found!