Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2017 13:00

Suggestion on setting up a dedicated backup network

Hello,

I would like to setup a dedicated backup network for backup purpose.

Is there any pointers or best practice regarding this kind of setup?

There are some methods that I had thought about:

1) Setup up VLAN to separate the management network and backup network

2) Using router to route backup traffic from management network to backup network

I think different OS may have different behavior, they may/may not accept traffic send to another NIC

3. When adding client by using the wizard, I have input the hostn ame of the backup interface of the client.
For example: client1-backup.example.org

The FQDN of the client is client1.example.org.

The backup could not start with below error message:

98519:save: Unable to setup direct save with server networker.example.org: Client 'client1.example.org' is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server..

90018:save: Cannot open a save session with NetWorker server 'networker.example.org': Client 'client1.example.org' is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server.

After I added the short hostname and FQDN to the alias setting of the client in the NetWorker management console, the backup can proceed. But I am not sure if this is the correct way or setting.

Thanks in advance.

14.3K Posts

February 9th, 2017 14:00

1. Yes, that's how it is usually done.  Also, you don't want backup network to be routed so having large routeless VLAN is good thing.
  2. If there is route between these two, that is possible.  Normally, this happens when you have client defined over frontend VLAN and you run backup over backend VLAN.  I like to separate this so I always add my clients as defined by name on backend VLAN, use backup server interface which points to backend VLAN, use storage node on backend VLAN and use DD path which is also on backend VLAN.  As not always everything is on backend, I also create for those clients devices on DD which are on frontend and use frontend values.
  3. That is normal.  You must define aliases.  When you contact your client on backup VLAN, nsrexecd there will run some basic auth checks including local hostname and PTR on it... and that will always answer with name of primary interface which is frontend VLAN.  So, when creating clients with backend VLAN name, always add frontend VLAN name as alias.

16 Posts

February 10th, 2017 08:00

Thanks for reply.

For point 3:

I need more testing with this setting (when client name is not same as client system host name).

I need to test backup and restore using Networker Module with Databases and applications.

16 Posts

February 10th, 2017 12:00

My concern is the difference of the registered client name inside Networker and the real host name.

As a know, another backup product (not from EMC) have special procedure and need special attention for Microsoft Exchange, if the public hostname and backup hostname is different. It is because the backup/restore make use of the Exchange backup Application Programming Interface (API).

14.3K Posts

February 10th, 2017 12:00

It is rather typical setup and multihomed setups are nothing new for past 10-15 years I guess...

14.3K Posts

February 10th, 2017 13:00

I see no reason to concern.  You define in NW client by using preferred interface.  If that is backup interface, you define it that way.  If you application doesn't support it for some reason, then you defined that client over whatever interface it will use.  You have option and you can use whatever option you want for any client.

No Events found!