Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2017 14:00

Switching to GLR Exchange backups with Networker

Networker 8.2.3.8, windows 2012r2

Exchange 2010

Hello,

So, it seems that our Barracuda email archiver has bitten the dust, and the company does not plan to repair, replace, or upgrade it. So, I need another way to restore individual email files/folders, etc. We run a dag configuration between two primary servers, each with passive copy at another datacenter. We have about 7tb of total exchange data, and a full backup takes typically 7 to 9 hours, which we are good with.

I have been reading up on this, and have a couple questions.

1) Does changing from our usual database backup to a GLR backup method, add significant time to the duration of the backup?

2) Will i be able to perform granular restores for data backed up PRIOR to when I begin using GLR backups, or will i only be able to recover email granularly from the time that i start using GLR backups?

Looks like changing to the GLR method will require a reboot of the exchange servers, hence, a production outage. For those of you using this, are there any other little real-world "gotchas" that you would not mind sharing?

Thank you!

Todd

2.4K Posts

July 29th, 2017 01:00

Actually you do not use NMM to run GLR backups. You exclusively run DB backups and recoveries.

The optional software ItemPoint virtually mounts such a backup and gives you the possibility to browse and restore items out of this DB backup. EMC ItemPoint is free of change if you have a NetWorker volume license agreement. AFAIR backup to disk is mandatory - backup to a DD, especially via DDBoost will even be better.

As we do not have any mote data about you environment, nobody can compare backup/recover speed but in general, I would say that it will not get worse.

Personally I have not tried this but I assume that you can even recover granular items from older db backups if they have been created with a recent NMM version. But Barracuda seems to be a total different solution and you did not mention NMM at all.

146 Posts

July 29th, 2017 06:00

Wow, I sure didn't, did I. I do have Networker Module for Microsoft installed on the exchange servers, and I do back up everything to Datadomain dd7200 devices. When you install the NMM, there is an option during the process to select additional installation items, such as GLR, but I did not select that, so when I access the NMM to see what my current recovery methods are, I have only 2....database recovery, and rdb recovery, but no granular option. That's the part I was wondering about. If I enable that option in the NMM, does it impact backup performance, and is it retro-active. But, I think you addressed part of this.

2.4K Posts

July 29th, 2017 10:00

With respect to backup performance - there should be no impact as ItemPoint is only started after the actual DB recovery has ended. As there is no extra metadata created, why should ther be a difference?

2.4K Posts

July 29th, 2017 10:00

Perfect scenario - that's how we do it. Just on Exchange 2016.

Now - for all others be aware that MS has modified its Exchange 2016 DB internally with CU5. If you have such combination, DB recovery is possible but not GLR (the window will show an unspecified error).

This has been addressed with the new ItemPoint Software which will be part of NMM 9..1.1.3 to be released along with NW 9.1.1.3 on monday. It will also support CU6.

No Events found!