Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2009 07:00

System Backing up to Default Pool

Hello all and thank you for your support. Here is the problem I am facing:

I am backing up Sharepoint with a Networker for Microsoft Applications Module. I've setup the Snapshot policy correctly (using EMC support) and had the backup running great. After checking back in on the job a week later, I've found out that the backup is writing to the Default Media Pool even though I have specified it to write elsewhere. I've ensured the client is in the group I want it to be and that the snapshot policy settings are directing all backups to go to the desired Media Pool. No matter what I change the media pool to, it still writes to the "Default" pool.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1.1K Posts

August 19th, 2009 07:00

That means there is not a match in your media pool selection criteria - I would review these against what you are trying to backup and make any necessary corrections

February 29th, 2012 08:00

I'm having the same problem and this solution seems vague, how exactly do you review these against what you are trying to backup. I've check the config of all my backups and the data backups go to the correct media pool always but the indexes sometimes go to the default media pool? Where do you look to ensure it will write to the correct media pool?

I don't use snapshots or clones but I have the client set to use the proper media pool and I have the group set in the proper media pool, the data writes to the correct media pool, the index does not?

544 Posts

February 29th, 2012 19:00

epfaffinger ,Did you configured this pool as mentioned in the following Powerlink solution:

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg54449

March 1st, 2012 06:00

Ahmed,

I don’t want index and bootstrap to go to a separate pool and no, I have not configured it this way. I need the index to go to the same pool the data is going to? For example. I have a monthly backup job for saveset ‘All’, it uses a media pool ‘Monthly’. The team that manages the media offsite will see this media label of ‘Monthly’ and know it is not to come back onsite for a defined period of time.

The data goes to the ‘Monthly’ pool but sometimes the index goes to the ‘Default’ pool so they don’t know what retention to put on the tape? We cannot have a media pool for indexes or bootstraps that has one universal retention period.

736 Posts

March 1st, 2012 07:00

Hi,

Please create a new post for a new problem rather than adding on the end of an already-answered one.  You can add a link to the existing thread and it makes it easier to follow.

For your issue, it could be that there are no volumes local to the NetWorker server available at the time of the backup and the indexes need to go to a local device.  Have a look at this article for details on how to troubleshoot this.

-Bobby

March 2nd, 2012 12:00

Not exactly sure how to create a new post and link to the existing thread so I do apologize, the only option I see is 'reply'? Thank you for the link above, I've confirmed everything was configured as per those instructions however the second and third link in that esg result in a "The solution you requested either could not be found or is not available for viewing." message when I try to go to them?

I'll just open a ticket and let EMC support work it out I guess as I've checked the configuration many times against EMC documentation and I have verified there is available media in the pool so obviously I'm still missing something.

No Events found!