Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2008 07:00

Tape Drive Problem

Hello All,

Iam new to the networker . Yesterday one of our DLT 7000 Tape drive went to the service mode automatically. Saying max consecutive error exceded 20.
I have cleaned the tape drive , resetted the value to 20 and for few minutes it was working fine. After some time , when it tries to verifies the tape it gives the following warning.

09/02/08 15:22:18 nsrd: media warning: /dev/rmt/1cbn reading: Tape label read fo r volume ? in pool ?, is not recognised by Networker: I/O error
09/02/08 15:22:19 nsrd: /dev/rmt/1cbn Eject operation in progress

Tape drive doesn't seems to recogonise any of the tapes... Any idea what this message is..?

Our tape library is : ATL P3000
Tape drive :DLT 7000
Networker version : 7.1.3
Backup server is running on Solaris 8.0

Thanks in advance,
Deepak.

724 Posts

September 2nd, 2008 09:00

First try to load any tape on other devices to see if the problem is only on one device.
Then manually mount a blank tape and try to run some tests from OS level (tar is a good test), and see if you get any erros. As this looks like a device problem, I bet you'll find problems too.

28 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 01:00

Hi Daniel...

Yes, i have tried mounting a new tape manually to a test backup .. When it comes to the verifing label. It shows the above specified message ( First post) and ejecting the tape.. I have cleaned the drive too... But it's still doing the same... I have reported this to our hardware support. They suggested me to replace the drive itself...

Thanks,
Deepak

41 Posts

September 8th, 2008 12:00

Hi, This is the problem with the drive, I have L8 libraries which had the same error.

Try the following this may help before replacing the drive:
If the drive is in service mode enable it.
stop networker services on services.
restart the library.
nsrjb -HEvv
nsrjb -IE

this should fix the problem. the last thing that can be done is to reconfigure the jukebox. In case you have upgraded the networker version then this is required.

28 Posts

September 12th, 2008 06:00

Hello All...

Thank you very much for your replies... In the end, we replaced drive as wells as the Chip board in the blackbox which holds tape drive and now it is working fine...

The reason for the chip board replacement is , this drive also damaged 10 tapes in 2 days....

15 Posts

September 12th, 2008 06:00

I had the same problem and I changed the consecutive errors to 200 and it worked fine.
No Events found!