japgar
2 Bronze

Tape Drive stuck in Verify Label condition

Hi,

I had a hardware issue with a tape drive in my jukebox. I was able to fix the tape drive and remove the tape. However, networker will not let me use this drive while it is still in verifying label mode. I know that I could stop and start networker to fix it. But, I don't want to interrupt the backups that are currently running. I tried changing the drive status via nsradmin, but that didn't work.

So, I'm wondering if I kill the appropriate nsrmmd process, would it regenerate itself fixing my problem? If so, how do I map the daemon number (i.e. nsrmmd -n #) to a drive?

If this doesn't work, short of stopping and starting Networker, how do I fix this?

Thanks,
Jim
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
japgar
2 Bronze

Re: Tape Drive stuck in Verify Label condition

Well, it turns out that an nsrmm -Hf /dev/rmt/4cbn did a software reset on the tape drive and fixed my problem.....
0 Kudos
Hari5
3 Argentium

If your backup server is on Unix or Linux, you can use fuser to map the nsrmmd to the appropriate drive.
0 Kudos
japgar
2 Bronze

Thanks..... fuser worked
0 Kudos
japgar
2 Bronze

forgot to mark as answered....
0 Kudos
Hari5
3 Argentium

You could also mark responses as helpful or correct.
0 Kudos
Can2
2 Iron

Hi,

Could you share fuser usage for mapping mmd processes.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
ble1
6 Indium

# fuser /dev/rmt/0cbn
/dev/rmt/5cbn:     10249o
# ps -ef | grep 10249
    root  10249 11204  0 16:09:00 ?       128:22 /usr/sbin/nsrmmd -n 5

On some systems you may wish to use fuser -u <path> or fuser -cu <path>.  On some systems it won't work (like HPUX 11.31).

Anyway, once you know the process id (eventually, lsof can be used too), you can use kill command against process.  Where fuser works fine, fuser -ku <path> will kill it too.

0 Kudos
Can2
2 Iron

thank you but seems that we cant apply it.There are nearly 500 tape devices in environment.

0 Kudos
ble1
6 Indium

Why?  You see the path and you just query against the path in question...

0 Kudos