Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2018 03:00

Tapes are getting unlabeled frequentli in Networker

the tapes in jb are getting unlabeled very frequently, now i have more than 4o tapes which are unlabeld at the moment and i am not able to label them.. tried inventory, force load , scanner cmds, checked connectivity , however still not able to labelt he tapes.

please suggest me a way to get my tapes labeled and auto media management is also not working on it.. it is not letting me enable the auto media management option.

2.4K Posts

January 15th, 2018 03:00

A tape does not get unlabeled. Once it has been labeled it will carry the label forever.

The only exceptions:

- It has been erased by command (on tape drives there is such a command you could potentially issue)

- It has been erased by a 'bulk eraser' - a strong magnet (not really used any more unless you want to destroy it)

- It has been labeled by the OS or another backup software.

What might be possible is that the media db loses the information but this needs more thorough investigations.

Another possibility is that you have a 'mixed media environment' consisting of drives like LTO3 & LTO6. Of course an LTO3 cannot read an LTO6 (if the drive itself will not already automatically eject it during load). So be a bit more specific.

Or you use diffent block sizes (but scanner would tell you that). And the label must be recognized as it is always written with 2x32kB blocks).

With respect to "auto media management" (AMM): Don't use it for now. Don't make it more complicated than necessary.

- However, if you use it, only select it for the autoloader, not for the drives.

- AMM for devices is only allowed fot standalone devices

- Once active, you give total control to NetWorker

Also check the device properties - with all your errors it might be that some are already set to 'service' mode.

1 Message

October 25th, 2019 01:00

Hi, 

i noticed that im not able to clone anything because label is not assigned to recently used for writing tape

i didnt relabel it or change anything in this VTL and laber for tape is gone now

is there any way to recover or label the tape without loosing data on this tape ?

2.4K Posts

October 25th, 2019 03:00

Never label a media if you still want to retrieve data!

Labeling will definitively lead to lose all the data on your volume. This is how a tape drive works - after the label it will directly write a certain pattern indicating the Logical End-of-Tape (LEOT).

If the information has been deleted from the media db and you still want to see what is on tape, you must

-  insert the tape media in a tape drive

-  execute an appropriate NW 'scanner' command for the drive (not for the media as you do not have that

info any longer. See the "Command Line Reference" for more details.

September 29th, 2021 16:00

Hello,

Did you ever figure out what was causing the unlabeling of tapes? I'm facing the same issue.

2.4K Posts

October 7th, 2021 04:00

This sometimes happens ... for whatever reason.

Try to re-inventory these tapes. If this is successful, don't worry.

58 Posts

October 7th, 2021 04:00

I'm starting to see a few tapes with unlabelled in the jukebox inventory. I'm not sure why this is happening, there hasn't been any other software accessing this library. I'm using v19.3.0.4

58 Posts

October 7th, 2021 05:00

I'm seeing it more often, never had it before. Also getting drives not unloading, just a failed message cannot allocate the device. I'd power cycle the library but 2nd drive is doing a clone of a lot of savesets.

Untitled.png

No Events found!