Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2010 02:00

Tapes expiration and saving indexes to a separate pool

Hello,

I have set up a GFS Rotation which is made of four savegroups with matching schedules and pools :

- Daily / Retention 1 week

- Weekly / Retention 1 month

- Monthly / Retention 1 year

- Yearly / Retention 10 years

Although everything seems to work properly, I have noticed that my tapes in the daily set have a 1 month retention. I have checked further and found that this is caused by having the server bootstrap and index being saved with the savegroups. I have read that it is recommended to save indexes separately in the following document http://solutions.emc.com/EMCSolutionView.asp?id=esg54449&usertype=C but I am not certain on how to proceed, being new to EMC networker.

My questions are the following:

1. considering my current rotation, what is the recommended retention time for indexes?

2. how to ensure that indexes and bootstrap are not saved on the normal savegroups?

3. do I need to create a savegroup to save indexes to a separate pool? If Yes, when should this one be started (daily?)

4. I am using tape offsite storage, I will probably also need to store indexes offsite?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Max

736 Posts

October 29th, 2010 03:00

Hi Max,

There was a discussion a while back on this forum on how long indexes should be kept for that should be of interest:

https://community.emc.com/message/449873

-Bobby

116 Posts

October 29th, 2010 03:00

Hi Max,

Configure your server with same retention periods (1 week).

But, if you want backup to another pool, follow answers
Use same retention of backups for index
for not save index in normal savegroups, mark "No index save" in groups > properties > advanced > options

yes, you need create a savegroup, follow settings of backups

But, i think the best solution in your case is change retention period of your server with same retention of the backups.

Regards,
Luis Rogerio

October 29th, 2010 06:00

Hello Luis,

Interestingly, I have only one 'client' for the EMC Server in Clients list, and this one is not even linked to a single savegroup. Additionally, it has All in the Save Set section.

Do I understand it correctly that the proper way to proceed is to :

- for each savegroup, create one "server" client configuration

- for each "server" client configuration, create a retention policy matching that of the savegroup

What should I also indicate in the Save Set section ?

Many thanks for your time.

Kind Regards,

Max

116 Posts

Hello Max,

You have no impact, but create a backup of the server to another pools with another retentions (monthly/yearly/decade).

Regards

Luis Rogerio

Hello Luis/Bobby,

many thanks for your hints! I would like to 'keep it simple' and avoid to deal with a separate pool. If I set my server retention to weekly, will this have any impact if I need to recover sets from the weekly/monthly/yearly rotations? (considering these have a monthly/yearly/decade retention period...).

Many many thanks,

Max

October 29th, 2010 08:00

Hello Luis,

I plan to save bootstrap and indexes ... could you tell me if the 2 points I've indicated above are the correct way to proceed?

Thanks a lot

Max

116 Posts

Max,

Yes you're right, addition this matching pool.

116 Posts

Hello Max,

If a intention is only save bootstrap, could you indicate the directory /nsr (Linux) or Program Files\Legato\nsr (Win) for example.

Regards,
Luis Rogerio

October 29th, 2010 10:00

Thank you Luis.

I the weekly backup is running tonight, I will amend the configuration saturday morning and I will inform how it went by end of next week (giving points and eventually ask for more help).

Thanks for your patience!

Max

November 4th, 2010 02:00

Hello,

unfortunately there has been no progress as of now. The TSEs with whom I've discussed the issue haven't provided a clear explanation of what is needed, and despite following their advices I am stuck with the following error showing up when backing up the server 'client' :

19244:savepsm: Saveset name invalid, should be NMCASA:/gst_on_servername/
68642:savepsm: Supported databases are lgto_gst

EMC Technical support indicated that the Save Set for the server client should be 'All', I told them that in the "App and Modules" tab there is the 'savepsm' command and they told me this is OK. Should I remove 'All' and replace it with 'NMCASA:/gst_on_servername/lgto_gst' ? Will this ensure that we are able to recover our server in case of DR ?

Your help is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Max

November 4th, 2010 04:00

I hopefully have fixed the issue by creating a separate pool / schedule / savegroup for the EMC Networker server 'client' and I have just tried to save successfully. I have indicated the following Save Set :  NMCASA:/gst_on_servername/lgto_gst

Is this all I need to solve the issue? I will monitor this in the coming days.

Thanks,

Max

No Events found!