Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2010 10:00

Today's announcement-> What do you think about it?

NetWorker with new Data Domain DD Boost Software increases backup performance.

What do you think about the announcement?  We would like to hear from you, let us know!

Allan

49 Posts

May 17th, 2010 23:00

My questin is how does it work with a restore?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 18th, 2010 12:00

Siobhan,

Restore/recovery will follow the exact workflow and process as data saved to any other device or target.  Simply run recover, winworkr or nwrecover and choose the files you want recovered. 

-Michael

49 Posts

May 18th, 2010 15:00

Michael,

Thanks, that's not exactly what I was after. I assumed the usual NetWorker restoration commands would be used. However, what I'm after is exactly how it does the restore. The announcement was all about how Bosst helps with Backup. I want to know how, or if, it helps with Restore, or is fully hydrated data restored, and that there is no restore benefit from boost?

I'm seeing much from vendors on de-dupe at the moment, but what I've noticed is that all the announcements concentrate on backup and not restore.

e.g., DD talks about its backup speed, I had to ask to get restore speed and this was before boost.

Avamar de-dupes at source, but hydrates on the data store then compresses it before it sends it over the wire.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 18th, 2010 16:00

Ah!  Got it.  Let me just say now I understand your question, and I'll get a precise answer (I think I know the answer, but let me confirm).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 14th, 2010 16:00

Siobhan,

Sorry about the delay ... the recovery work flow is data is rehydrated on the DD System, then pushed back to the requesting client. There is no Boost in the recover workflow.  Great question.

-Michael

49 Posts

June 14th, 2010 17:00

Michael,

as I suspected. What I've noticed is the data protection market place concentrating on Backup again, rather than on Restore. This is al vendors, I'm not pointing the finger at EMC specifically.

This, I suspect,  is due to the fact that de-dupe tends to help more with backup, so if you are going to say how sexy something is, you naturally concentrate on the positive and conveniently ignore the flaws.

That is not to say that this functionality does not have its place, just as long as purchasers remember it is about Restore.

Whilst on the subject, it is worth comparing restoration of differeing de-dupe technlogies in the market place.

Avamar provides rehydration within a file at the client (So, if the same block is repeated twice in teh same file it will only transmit it once)

Symantec have claimed that they only send a block back once in a complete restoration. I've yet to check out that, but interesting technology if it does - because that is what you want. If you've already sent a  block back... why send it again?

regards

No Events found!