Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2013 15:00

Trying to Get My First Backup Working

I've installed the client software on the server I want to backup, I've added that server to Networker as a client, and I've added the client to a group.  When I try to start a backup on the group, the backup stops at:

Media Waiting Event: Waiting for 1 writeable volume(s) to backup pool 'GROUP_NAME' disk(s) on SERVER_NAME

The backup get to about 25% and stops with this message in the log.  This is our first experience with Networker and I'm fumbling through getting it working.  Any help would be great!

2.4K Posts

June 18th, 2013 01:00

Obviously you have not (labeled) and mounted a volume to the appropriate backup pool. That's why NW now shows this media event.

The 25% (do not take this number for real!) is just an indicator that your client setup is fine - the NW server could successfully contact the client and built the 'worklist' - the first step. Now starts the data transfer but the backup volume is not ready.

5 Posts

June 18th, 2013 07:00

Are there setup instructions for Networker?  Setting this thing up with the Help file is not great.

5 Posts

June 18th, 2013 08:00

Well, it looks like the device wasn't mounted like bingo said.  I mounted and it's working now.  After clicking around, I now know where to mount. Well, I appreciate your all of your help.  I'll see if I can keep refining this and make it work how we'd like.

Thanks again!

5 Posts

An EMC tech actually helped us set it up a month ago, but the project has been on hold.  Now that I'm getting back to it, I'm completely lost.  I've been running over the documentation for a few days now.  The devices and media pools appear to be set correctly.  I'm, honestly, just trying to back up one physical server for now to our new DD as a test.  I've installed the client software on the server I'm trying to backup, made a new client in Networker, added to a group in Networker, set the group to use the media pool for DD I'd like to backup, and verified the Device Access Information is set to the correct directory for the backup file to be placed.  After I Start a backup, it pops up the media message above every time.

You're right, this product is a beast.  The nomenclature seems to be a problem for me.  I'm not a backup guy in the first place, but I guess I will be after this.

90 Posts

Brian_co,

Networker is a beast. Identify what you are trying to backup first and how. That'll help you narrow down how to get that going. For example if you want to backup a VM, try viewing this video to see how that is setup: http://www.brainshark.com/brainshark/brainshark.net/portal/title.aspx?pid=zCtzQwSTPz0z0.

Actually, is your Networker environment configured already?

-Ed

90 Posts

June 18th, 2013 09:00

Sounds good...Soon you'll be a Networker expert .

2.4K Posts

June 18th, 2013 09:00

Maybe the links you find here will help you ...

5 Posts

June 18th, 2013 11:00

Very good.  Thanks for the link.  Looks like hours of reading ahead.  At least it doesn't look dry. 

No Events found!