Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2016 08:00

Updating Networker: best practices and tips?

I'll update my Networker server for the first time. It's a small jump (8.2.1 to 8.2.3, Windows). I reviewed this document and it seems to be pretty straightforward: just run the setup.exe and the update will start.

Apart from what's mentioned in the document, do you have any consideration, tip, best practice? Is there anything that I should back up previously?

Thanks!

2.4K Posts

August 25th, 2016 10:00

Just ensure that you have a valid bootstrap save set which schould not be older than 1 day.

If you know hot he services/NW daemons are started, use taskmgr to monitor them.

Also use nsrwatch as it will take a while until NMC will be back in service.

25 Posts

August 25th, 2016 10:00

Adding to Bingo's insight.

However upgrade will have a considerate amount of downtime, stop NetWorker services on the server and take a backup/copy of /nsr/res and /nsr/mm folders. Start the service. Follow the steps in the guide that you have mentioned above.

Thanks,

Karthik N

2.4K Posts

August 25th, 2016 14:00

The time which is needed to (re)start NW depends on a lot of things, especially

- the size of the media index (minor)

- the 'necessary amount of db conversion actions', for example

- changing the media db from BLISS (up to NW 8.2.2.x) to SQLite (NW 8.2.3.x and NW 9.x)

- changing the resources, especially if you upgrade to NW 9 (with the intro of policies & workflows)

of course, the number of entries also matters

- the number of (old) clients which names cannot be resolved (any longer)

- due to retries, each entry takes a lot of time (the impact can be severe)

- you should use nsrclientfix to report and delete them - if this is not possible use fake entries in the hosts table.

- the number of (remote) backup devices.

I strongly recommend that you verify the timing on a separate test system.

6 Posts

August 25th, 2016 14:00

Didn't know about the database change on 8.2.3+... so ,I guess it's a bigger jump than I thought.

It's a small environment (about 75 clients), and the index is not that big. Should I consider more than 5, 6 hours for this?

2.4K Posts

August 25th, 2016 20:00

NW is really fast - for the actual db conversion7adjustments it will just need some minutes.

The other obstacles would really take time ... especially name resolution issues.

Here is a Windows script that will help you ...

- adjust the pathnames as necessary

- let it run in a separate window and monitor the startup phase

C:\>more D:\scripts\monitoring\tail_daemon_raw.cmd

@echo off

: loop

cls

echo.

echo %TIME%

echo.

D:\nsr\bin\nsr_render_log -B -15 D:\nsr\logs\daemon.raw

timeout /t 5

goto loop

C:\>

Now do a test on an isolated VM with and without an appropriate hosts file to resolve your client name issues.

Verify the difference.

No Events found!