Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2012 02:00

VADP FULLVM backup much larger than VCB FULLVM backup

I am currently evaluating Networker 7.6SP2 and find that a VADP FULLVM backup is considerably larger than the equivalent VCB FULLVM backup on 7.6SP1.

For example, I have a VM (Virtual Machine) client with one drive size 17Gb.  The VADP FULLVM backup is 23Gb, whereas the VCB FULLVM is only 10Gb.  I am concerned, since I have170 VM clients, that more than double the current amount of backup space will be required when we upgrade to SP2.  Can anyone confirm that this is to be expected? 

7 Posts

March 1st, 2012 22:00

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried other clients now and find that the problem only exists with Windows 2008R2 backing up on 7.6SP1.

When I back up a Windows 2008R2 client with 7.6SP1 VCB then I get the following:

savegrp: suppressed 5 lines of output.

Mount point             : D:\\mnt\2k8r2trestore

Flavor                  : fullvm

Transport Mode          : san

Snap policy             : automatic

Max retry               : 0

Max backoff time        : 10

Performing a FULL Image level backup.

Starting VCB mount operation..

Unable to get the system registry file. So exiting ...

Starting NetWorker save operation..

C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\\bin\save.exe -s nwh-ebs-01 -c 2k8r2trestore -g VM 01 Test -LL -m 2k8r2trestore -o vss:*=off; -l full -q -W 78 -N VM:2k8r2trestore.tnhs.tayside.scot.nhs.uk:*FULL* D:\\mnt\2k8r2trestore\2k8r2trestore-fullVM

Cleaningup VCB mount operation..

So it appears the backup is actually failing.  The same backup using 7.6Sp2 is successful.

With Windows 2008R1 and Windows 2003 clients there is no size difference since all backups are successful.

544 Posts

March 1st, 2012 15:00

This is not an expected behavior , all what i can remember is in the case of virtual machines that have a large amount of change rate during backups, the snapshots can grow in size considerably while the backup is running. Therefore, ensure that the snapshot working directory on the VMFS datastore has enough space to accommodate the snapshot during the backup. Also it is recommended to keep at least 20% free space on all datastores for snapshot management. But this differences in VM backup size is not expected.

Did you try backing up another client with the same conditions ? and what was the results ?

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

544 Posts

March 2nd, 2012 00:00

Seems the issue is the VMware supportability for Windows 2008 R2 for VCB backups, as far as i remember that VCB 1.5 Update 2 supports full virtual machine backups and restores of Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 x64 guest operating systems. However, file level backups are not supported with Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 x64 guests.

That what i can remember for the time being, not sure, but we need to double check that from VMware compatability for Windows 2008 R2 , So what is your VCB version you are using ?

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

7 Posts

March 2nd, 2012 01:00

We are using VCB V 1.5.0.5584 build 226297

544 Posts

March 2nd, 2012 02:00

I found this note in VCB 1.5 Update 2 Release Notes:

Backup images of Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 operating systems are not supported with VCB 1.5 Update 2

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_vcb_15_u2_rel_notes.html

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

544 Posts

March 2nd, 2012 13:00

Hi DianaC,

You need to double check with vmware about the supportability for Windows 2008 R2 using VCB backups , as it looks like it is not supported with your current version. Hope that this helps you to identify the problem causes.

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

No Events found!