Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2017 10:00

VM backups failing with Status = 'NO_PROXY_FOR_VM_BACKUP'

Networker DPS Suite 8.2.3.8, on Windows 2012r2

Hi all,

Recently Ive started seeing some VM backups failing with - Status = 'NO_PROXY_FOR_VM_BACKUP' or even just Status = 'UNKNOWN'. When I look in the vsphere web client and check that protection policy, I can see the VM's there, but they had become unchecked. When I re-check the client, I see that "Backup policy was edited successfully, but the system failed to add one or more clients to the policy" error. I dont have Avamar Administrator, but I do have access to VSphere web client, all of our Networker environment, and VMware VCenter. Anyone know what may be causing this?  And I have been researching the error, but no solution yet.

Thanks,

Todd

146 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 11:00

Hi shady, and thank you. i had resolved the issue, but forgot to place my resolution here. In our case, what was happening was this. We use a product called SRM (Site Recovery manager), to replicate our VM's offsite. Our VM engineer was moving VM's to our other site using SRM, but was not alerting me to this. So, Networker was still seeing the VM placeholders in the original site, but could no longer see that VBA. Once I changed the VMs to the other VBA at the remote site, all was well.

18 Posts

March 20th, 2017 04:00

Hi Todd,

I believe that you are using VBA; if so, then I believe you will get the needed assistance if you raised your question with networker space.

In the meanwhile, i did some search about the error you are receiving and would like to provide the following KBs:

490852 : VBA: Status = 'NO_PROXY_FOR_VM_BACKUP' https://support.emc.com/kb/490852             

477676 : No Proxy For VM Backup https://support.emc.com/kb/477676

Appreciate your update and feedback if this was helpful to solve the problem; don't forget to mark the question as answered when the problem is solved.

Best Regards,

Shady Salama

Subject Matter Expert (SME), Avamar, Data Protection & Availability Solutions

Dell EMC | Technical Support Services

18 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 23:00

Thank you Todd for your update; I am glad that the issue is resolved now and the backups are working fine.

Please don't forget to mark the thread as answered.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Shady Salama

Subject Matter Expert (SME), Avamar, Data Protection & Availability Solutions

Dell EMC | Technical Support Services

3 Posts

April 26th, 2017 04:00

Hi All,

Recently we are facing the same issue wherein the few VM backups (not all) on one of the VBA are failing with the error "NO_PROXY_FOR_VM_BACKUP". The external proxies are enabled as well as per the above shared KB article.

Please let us know if anyone else has faced the same scenario and what could be the possible fix ?

146 Posts

May 1st, 2017 13:00

hclavago,

Because SRM failed our VMs over to another datacenter\vcenter, i was actually trying to back them up to the vcenter in which they no longer resided. I also ran into some issues because of this where the vm left a "ghost" of sorts behind. In those cases, i ended up having to run the following command on the VBA that I actually needed to back up through.

I ran this command as root rom this location  >/usr/local/avamar/var/ebr/server_log/#:

mccli client retire -name=/ /VirtualMachines/

It would then return "client retired successfully", and I could then back up the needed clients.

1 Message

June 19th, 2017 06:00

We are having the same issue. Both of the VMWare Protection Policies we have are failing their backups. I've read through the thread but not sure where in the web client I should be looking to see if the VMs became unchecked. I'm relatively new to the Networker product so I'm working my way through threads and possible reasons for why this is happening.

Looking into this a bit more, we are running VBA with two proxy servers, one for each vSAN cluster we have. I've logged into the VBA web interface and all of the services are running. I rebooted it and logged back into it without any issues. Again, all services are running. Looking into the Networker Admin console, the VBA applicance is listed as the right server and the External Proxy Host is listed as our AVAPROXY2 server. I was able to log into that as well via the web interface.

No Events found!