This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 11th, 2014 03:00

VM restore from VBA on DR site DD

Hi expert,

We have set up VM backup using VBA  to primary DD and  clone the data to another DD. If the primary DD failed, during the vm restore, whether networker will choose the saveset on secondary DD automatically? Or whether we need to choose clone pool to do the restore?

Thank you for your reply.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

If the primary DD failed, networker will automatically choose secondary or clone copy or we need manually choose the clone pool?

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

As long as the primary volume is online the restore will always ask for the primary volume. Incase you want to use the clone copy of the backup for the restore, you will have to mark the respective saveset as suspect. Or incase your primary volume is not in use you can unmount it and try the restore again.

Incase your primary DD failed (i assume you mean if it is down) then it obvious that none of the devices on the primary device are available and in this case the secondary or clone copy should be requested.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

February 11th, 2014 05:00

If the primary fails and the devices are offline in NetWorker then it will automatically choose the clone copies from your DR site.

February 12th, 2014 04:00

Hi,

You need to select the secondary Copy on other DD manually during the restore.

VBA / EBR restores will happen through the Vsphere Web client -> EMC Backup & Recover -> Select the EBR / NVP Appliance -> Restore Tab.

You will see the VM's which are backedup & will show it description Like , Backup date /time & Backup Location.

You can select the Secondary Copy which was cloned to secondary DataDomain.

HTH

Regards

Hari Prakash.

4 Posts

March 5th, 2014 06:00

Hello,

Did you tried it ?

Because we tested it and it didn't work like that.

DD1 is powered off, if you tried to select replica in vcenter view and launch restore action then you will get : Error Code 22552: Backup does not exist...

If someone try it sucessfully, please let us know !

Regards,

Thomas

14.3K Posts

Do you have NW id reference for the problem?

Hi,

This is a known issue which was already reported to Networker engineering.

You can contact EMC support team to get more details about the issue.

HTH

Regards

Hari Prakash.

11 Posts

June 25th, 2014 05:00

I have the latest 8.1.1.6 version of networker. I cannot restore VM from replica when primary DD is down (although VBA sees that primary copy is off). Does anyone know the solution to the problem?

2 Posts

September 8th, 2014 09:00

i have the same problem on a disaster recovery environment.

I have replicate the NW server with SRM and in the dr environment i have redeployed the vba with same network configuration of primary vba.

I have the checkpoint on the DR Datadomain, i tried to restored the CP from DD but the restore failed.

in the manual (Networker vmware integration guide) i have see that for restored the checkpoint the command is

./ebr-rollback-utils.sh -forcerollback checkpoint

i have see that this command search on the /data01, tomorrow i would like to try to restore from nw server the saveset on the /data01 and after try to launch the restore of checkpoint. I don't know if this it can be a solution =)

September 19th, 2014 01:00

Hi,

Did you tried restoring the save sets (/data1 , 2 and 3 etc) did it worked?

We have similar setup.

The backups are getting replicated to DR DD, and the networker server is getting replicated through Recover Point and SRM.

The major applications are getting replicated through Recover Point to maintain RPO/RTO

I have EBR at primary site and i am looking for a solution where in case of disaster and my primary site is down including Vcenter can i restore it to the other site using DR Datadomain and this EBR...

Please help if you have tested...

Regards,

Swapnil

8 Posts

June 15th, 2015 10:00

Hi

did you find the answer? we have the same setup and have the same question

Regards

Zeeshan

2 Posts

June 15th, 2015 11:00

Yes i have found the solution

You can find it into new emc knowloledge sharing 2015 page 16.

In a dr environment is necessary delete with nsrmm command the primary Saveset

For more information write me

A.casagrande@lutech.it

June 16th, 2015 01:00

Yes I got the answer that with my version it is not supported and EMC will

release a newer version, however I am not sure it have been done or not. I

have suggested customer that we use recover point for all VM failover as

they already have SRM licenses and space and bandwidth etc… etc… If you try

with latest version please let me know.

Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 11:40 PM

To: Swapnil_Pandey

Subject: Re: - VM restore from VBA on DR site DD

ECN

VM restore from VBA on DR site DD

reply from xzeeshan

in

*NetWorker

Support Forum* - View the full discussion

14.3K Posts

June 16th, 2015 07:00

I believe it was in release notes of 8.2SP1 or something like that this is supported now.

156 Posts

June 16th, 2015 12:00

Hi Swapnil

If you are performing the Cloning from your Primary DD to the Secondary DD (using Clone Pool @ Secondary DD) and VMWare Protection policy, then the answer is Yes, It will go to next available volume (here it is the clone poool) in case the preferred or Backup pool is not available or mounted.

Hope this helps

Deb

Please Like my Post if you liked it, Please Mark it as Helpful if it helped you, and mark it as Correct Answer if it resolved your query

No Events found!