Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 20th, 2012 07:00

What does it mean exactly when a saveset "unexpectedly exited"

How should I act on an error like that? Does that not mean failured. I am not sure that "unexpectedly exited" savesets are being recorded as a failure.

Could not find a reference to this in the admin manual for 7.5 (we have 7.5.4)

544 Posts

March 1st, 2012 16:00

Most probably it is timeout issue as mentioned before, TCP Start Timeout seems to affects the initial nsrexecd (client side) <-> nsrexec (server side) connection. In order to prevent this from occurrence, the NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT variable can be set on the NetWorker Client so that a keep alive packet can be sent between the nsrexecd and nsrexec connection.

To use NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT (to prevent the nsrexecd <-> nsrexec connection dropping)

On the NetWorker client:

1. Right mouse click on My Computer and select Properties
  2. Click on the Environment Variables button.
  3. Create a new SYSTEM variable
  4. In the variable name field enter NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT
  5. In the variable value field enter a value in seconds which is less than the timeout value on the firewall for the TCP Start Timeout. (i.e. if TCP Start Timeout = 60 seconds, set NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT value = 900 secs

Also make sure that there is no firewall issues between Networker server and the client . Also the NIC settings is set to Full Duplex instead of Auto.

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 20th, 2012 10:00

Hi - The "unexpectedly exited" message is tied to several things, but where I have seen it more predominantly is when there are network timeouts between the server, storage node AND/OR host being backed up. Here's a couple of examples:

http://solutions.emc.com/EMCSolutionView.asp?id=esg102951&usertype=C

http://solutions.emc.com/EMCSolutionView.asp?id=esg118181&usertype=C

Hope this helps!

BRSDude

1.7K Posts

February 20th, 2012 22:00

Hi,

Unexpectedly exit means indeed failure on certain saveset. Having more output on the error message would help. I would say that it's more likely related to VSS savesets, however it can be also reported for any other saveset.

As BRSDude said this could be a time out, but you should take a look at the logs to gather more information.

Thank you.

Carlos.

736 Posts

February 21st, 2012 01:00

Hi,

As a general tip, the Administration Guide is not the best place for look up error messages.  There is an NetWorker Error Message Guide but it is often more useful to search in the knowledgebase.  A search in powerlink for "networker"AND"unexpectedly exited" gives support articles that could be helpful.

-Bobby

No Events found!