Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 12th, 2009 11:00

What is "0 KB are saved to pool"?

Hi,

During my setup of 7.5.1, I have been running some cloning tests that clone savesets from disk to tape. During the clone, I see the following in the log for each saveset:

Source= cloning session
Category = media
¿0 KB are saved to pool ¿Tape Clone¿ (CloneTape-001) of Server1:cloning session¿

This is logged whether I clone manually or automatically clone with a scheduled savegroup.

I read that NW only allows one clone of a saveset to a volume. So, is this log entry telling me that it didn¿t find a previous entry so it is going to proceed with the clone, or is it telling me that it did not write anything to tape? Everything else reports that the cloning was successful.

Thanks,

1.1K Posts

May 14th, 2009 08:00

160MB is not a lot of data - if it kept reporting how much data it had backed up your logs would be huge. If you check with mminfo and your clone and original are the same totalsize you have nothing to worry about.

1.1K Posts

May 13th, 2009 04:00

I believe it is telling you the status of how much has been written (cloned) to that tape so far... I would assume at this point the clone has just started?

Networker will only allow one saveset instance per tape but you can have as many copies on different tapes as you want.

14.3K Posts

May 14th, 2009 02:00

Try to see with mminfo what has been cloned and where.

40 Posts

May 14th, 2009 07:00

David,

Yes, this is when the clone first starts. It doesn't follow up with anything like "160 MB are saved to pool" later though. It reports that it is done reading the save sets and then that writing to the tape has completed.

During the intial backup, before the clone, it does report the amount that was saved to the disk device. "160 MB are saved to pool 'FileDevice' (File-001) of Server1:C:\Users\TestUser\Desktop\TestFolder"

40 Posts

May 14th, 2009 07:00

mminfo shows that the savesets are on the tape volume.

14.3K Posts

May 15th, 2009 01:00

Well, if they are, size is ok and so are the flags then I guess you can ignore that message.

40 Posts

May 19th, 2009 05:00

I tested with 10GB, still the same entries. 0 KB and then finished. Nothing in between. I also tried to clone the same set to the same tape and it just prompted for another tape. Still no change in the entries.

I agree that constant updates could fill the logs but why report 0 if you are not going to report anything else? (rhetorical) Maybe a percentage update would be better.
No Events found!