Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2014 03:00

adding volume to media pool.

Hi I have the following on my system.

However when i try create a third device in the filesystem pool it uses the same volume name as the second pool.

how would this have been created?

I am a newbie BTW. Page 215 on the networker guide does not help me much

47 Posts

June 20th, 2014 03:00

It is just following templates.

Please override the defualt with the label of your choice.

124 Posts

June 20th, 2014 04:00

hi i agree with you that it should follow the template. when i look at my tremplate it shows it as follows.

to give you an idea of what happens i have run a test.

I created these 3 devices.

so now i go to label my device.

I then get this screen.if i change it to 002.

and then.

47 Posts

June 20th, 2014 05:00

'In use' has two meanings:

- The media could be in use

- If you run the task too early after creating the device, you may also see the issue. Just retry a little bit later.

47 Posts

June 20th, 2014 05:00

Do you work with 'Auto Media Management' (AMM) at all?

If so, you give full control to NetWorker.

If you want to override AMM and control a device manually, you must disable AMM first.

124 Posts

June 20th, 2014 06:00

I have disabled AMM

14.3K Posts

June 20th, 2014 11:00

From what I see in screenshot you provided, you didn't select 3rd device, but rather first one.

124 Posts

June 22nd, 2014 23:00

Hi Hrvoje

That is my point I when i try an create a new device it defaults to the volume name of the first device.

If i look in my templates it shows the next device number to be zftest.002 but does not number it as such and tries to rename the volume name of the first device.

47 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 00:00

Whenever you label a media, the very first step of a backup program is that it verifies whether the media already contains a valid label. And the default behavior is to reuse/recycle it.

The label template is just used for the case that NW would just need to label a new media.

124 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 00:00

Hi

This is where i get confused.

I am creating a new device using the wizard. i then select the device pool i want it to be in. my expectation is that it would then create a new volume name associated with the new device.

How do i create a ne device with a new volume name then.?

14.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2014 02:00

To my knowledge, wizard will offer also steps of labeling so I do not understand why do you label it if you used wizard? Anyway, using wizard, create new device (make sure unsuccessful references of previous attempts are gone - device and volume wise) and create new one.  You may wish to create screenshot for each step in case you hit trouble and wish to share your path here.  Another thing is that you may wish to check with your support to do it with you over webex and then you can see it how it is done and what exactly is done different from what you did - it might be a bit faster resolution wise.

47 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 02:00

That does not work. Devices and media are not bound to another at all.

This is logical for tapes as you should be able to use it in any device. But it is also true for disk media. And this makes sense.

You could even move the whole contents to another device path and use it here.

124 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 04:00

Ok

So as a way of test i created a device called testfscl. I created a device pool called testfscl.

it created this device.

I then created another device using the testfscl device pool and it does not allow you to label it at all when creating it.NOTE no volume name.

as below.

Now when i go to label it it wants to relabel volume testfscl.001 to testfscl.002.

i am trying to understand how they were able to create these two devices as i need to create a third one. But i am exhibiting the same issues as above with these. I would like to know how these two device are in the same device pool yet have different volume names.

47 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 05:00

Once again - a device is not tight to any pool at all.

Only in case you label it you must assign the media to a pool.

I am not using the wizard - i am using the context menu (aka right click menu).

I recommend you to do that as well as you will understand the process better.

-------------------------

So create the device without labeling it, then select the device and open the menu.

Now NW tries to find and read a valid label first.

If found, it will display the label found.

Next you must first select the pool (unfortunately, you find it below the label - that confuses users who think they must work top down).

This triggers NW to use the next free label according to the label emplate.

You can now modify the label (you must not even follow the template at all) and then click o.k. to start the job.

However, if you first modify the label an then select the pool, NW will just override your label and propose the next available one from the 'new' pool.

14.3K Posts

I can't see why you can't label device so key to what you experience must be in part "I created device".  How exactly did you create device and what settings did you use while doing that?

14.3K Posts

Ida, given that OP does not have experience and can only make mistake if access path for DD devices is not set correctly, let him use wizard. I suspect he might have done that before and used same access path for two different devices.

No Events found!