Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

July 9th, 2014 02:00

after upgrade of networker server from 7.6.x to 8.0, and trying to upgr NW client to 8.0 too, NMSQL 5.2 backup that previously worked properly now fails with "Invalid SQL virtual server name", "Invalid option"

An old install of Networker, maintained on early versions (7.6.x) on purpose, now needs upgrade. (NW 7.6 is - to my knowledge - not supported any more.) The target was 8.0.x for the NW server and clients.

There is an MS SQL Server 2005 (running on Windows Server 2003) that previously had NW client 7.6.x, and was backed up by a 7.6.x NW server using NMSQL 5.x (5.2.x as I know). The SQL backup of this server was fine and stable at these versions (NW 7.6.x). We prefer to do as little change as possible... (leave components at the current version, if possible and supported, as the current version worked properly for a long time and is stable) Before upgrading this client, we also did some initial compatibility checks and we believe that this combination (NW server 8.0.x, NW client 8.0.x, NMSQL 5.2.x) should work. 

After the upgrade of the NW server and this particular NW client to 8.0.x, with resources and Networker settings basically unchanged, the NMSQL backup now always fails with this error message:

29100:(pid 3176): Invalid SQL virtual server name DIRECT_ACCESS=No

38563:(pid 3176): Invalid option -a

37758:(pid 3176): Usage: nsrsqlsv [ ] {path}

options: [-CGjqRTvkuHXZ] [-s server] [-N name] [-b pool] [-g group]

[-S count] [-l level] [-m masquerade] [-U user [-P passwd]]

[[-a virtual-server] | [-c client]] [-f aes] [-w browse] [-y retention]

path:    d-path | i-path

d-path:  MSSQL: | [MSSQL:]s-path [[MSSQL:]s-path [...]]

i-path:  MSSQL$inst-name: | MSSQL$inst-name:s-path [...]

s-path:  database | database. | database.filegroup |

database.filegroup. | database.filegroup.file

43709:(pid 3176):Stop time: Tue Jul 08 09:38:34 2014

test-sap:MSSQL:teszt data: retried 1 times.

After experiencing this error, we already tried to combine the SW components to see whether a different combo of other versions works. We left NW server at 8.0.x, but installed different versions of the others and did tests:

- NW client 8.0.x, NMSQL 5.2.x

- NW client 7.6.x, NMSQL 5.2.x

Both failed. We also tried to put the client name and virtual server name in the Backup Command field of the Client resource, but the result is the same.

For me, it seems to be that for whatever reason, after such a version change (maybe the newer version on the Networker server side), NW goes "mad" and can not construct the save command properly, from the NW Client resource fields, at run-time. (It tries to use the string "DIRECT_ACCESS=No", which comes from the Direct Access field of the NW Client resource, with the -a option (virtual server) => that results in "Invalid SQL virtual server name DIRECT_ACCESS=No".

I have seen somewhat similar occurrences of NW seemingly improperly constructing the actual backup command, that happens with "agent-based" backups (like NMM, NMSQL, NMEXCH). Our guess is that - although some documentation - this combination is NOT compatible.

Can someone out there, with experience in this, confirm or give some hints?

Thanks.

Geza

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

July 9th, 2014 02:00

This is because the "Client Direct" option on the client properties is unchecked. Have it enabled and retry the backup.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

July 9th, 2014 03:00

Hrvoje Crvelin wrote:

As crazyrov said, this is due to Direct Save unchecked.  NMM 5.2 is no longer supported I believe so you should really use NMM 3 (not SP1). It will give you SQL client as it was before and you don't have to change anything.

by NMM 5.2 Hrvoje actually meant NMSQL 5.2

14.3K Posts

July 9th, 2014 03:00

As crazyrov said, this is due to Direct Save unchecked.  NMM 5.2 is no longer supported I believe so you should really use NMM 3 (not SP1). It will give you SQL client as it was before and you don't have to change anything.

14.3K Posts

July 9th, 2014 09:00

Ah, yes.  But you also can use 8.1 - actually 3.0SP1 and 8.1.x (we use it against one win2k3 server we still have with SQL 2005) and it is according to compatibility guide.

87 Posts

Hi,

Because the module NMM 3.0 requires nw client 8.1.

Regards.

26 Posts

Hi,

we played a bit with this setup, stayed with NMSQL 5.2 for the reasons I mentioned before. (minimize change to the environment) So NMM is not on our agenda right now. (Probably sometimes later on, in the future, at a next stage of revamping this backup solution.)

Also applied Client Direct = Yes as recommended. Also fixed some other minor issues, created by the cloning or preparation of the test environment (e.g. delete nsr peer info).

Now backup of an MS SQL DB works fine, but recovery is freezing without any error message, but does not actually do a thing. (there are browse sessions for an indefinite - very long - amount of time, but no recovery stream started)

I will work on fixing this in the days ahead.

Thanks for your help so far...

Regards,

Geza

87 Posts

HI,

you can install module NMM 2.41 iwth nw8.0.x  to configure the VDI backup using the command nsrsqlsv.

Regards,

14.3K Posts

Why 2.4.1?  It is bad as it replaced agent for FS backup... 3.0 works as real module and fs backup is done by NW core agent as it should be.

14.3K Posts

July 9th, 2014 10:00

Geza, if I were you, I would move to NMM - I think it is more important to have healthy backups and restores than any other issue later on.

No Events found!