Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2016 07:00

ansrd.exe process. Why so many running at once and what is that?

Networker 8.2.1.4

Windows 2012 environment

VBA 1.1.1.50

Hi all,

Our Networker environment seems to lock up quite often. I do not know if this is part of the issue, but when it occurs, it seems that there are many copies of a process running called "ansrd.exe" (not nsrd.exe...that's only running once). The same issue occurred this morning, so I checked, and there are 138 instances of the ansrd.exe process that are running right now. Many of my process show up multiple times, and I know why, and would expect to see that, but not to this level. Googling ansrd.exe, and even searching the forums here, just doesnt seem to return very much info.

It may be normal, but I generally only see this when I'm trying to troubleshoot something. When things are running well, I'm not digging around looking through the task manager.

Hopefully these freeze-ups aren't an indication of outgrowing our current environment, but I'm starting here.

Thanks all,

Todd

ansrd.JPG.jpg

14.3K Posts

September 19th, 2016 07:00

Normally it is helper agent by nsrd, but you are right - one may be blocking and it spawns another and so on...  Normally, it may suggest some kind of IO block in terms of machine allowed values (like connections), but it is just wild guess as it could be anything else.  You can try to get nsrd and nsrexecd in debug mode when this happens and see if data collected might show what is going on.

146 Posts

September 19th, 2016 08:00

Thanks HC. Pushing our existing environment too hard is always a concern of mine. Im sure others here have much larger environments, but I am backing up about 1600 virtual servers, 250 physical servers, many sql databases, and several NFS and CIF shares.....about 165TB in total, so its a real juggling act to get everything backed up in a reasonable time. I should try to get some logs generated to see if we need to further "right-size" our environment.

14.3K Posts

September 19th, 2016 10:00

Since I departed from big UNIX boxes (Solaris, HPUX and AIX) I tend to run servers on Linux VMs, but I keep them small as much as I can (normally I do not cross 300 clients, but that alone doesn't mean much as for example single client may have 50+ databases so it soon becomes wild west unless you spread the load with some logic local to your own environment).  Soon I might deploy Windows version as well, but in Azure and that will be real challange

No Events found!