Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2012 08:00

backup is failing for particular folder after sometime, not for drives in windows

HI,

NW backup version: 7.6.3

Backup server OS: REDHAT LINUX

Client NW version: 7.6.3

OS version: Windows 2008 R2

We are using Windows Backup Service for taking system_state dump instaed of system_state backups through networker to local drives which we need to take in tapes. Whenever we are taking backups of "E:\WindowsImageBackup" coming to "currently running" state but aftersome time ( nearly 04 mins later) it is failing with "RPC error: RPC send operation failed; errno = An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host." but if i take backups of local drives excluding "Windows system state dump" file is completed with no errors.

I tried below steos:

1. Stop services of Windows Firewall.

2. Inactivity timeout is Zero.

3. System Enviroment variable created. "NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT" set to 30.

Looking for help?

Regards,

Sabarna Deb

February 21st, 2012 20:00

Hello,

It might be issue with switch port , please refer the below kb article

http://solutions.emc.com/EMCSolutionView.asp?id=esg120396&usertype=C

hope it will helpful.

Regards,

Vishwanth K

1.7K Posts

February 21st, 2012 21:00

Hi Sabarna,

I would say this is a TCP timeout.

To avoid any timeout I would suggest as follows:

1.- Disable TCP Chimney on client and Server (if server is Windows)

2.- Set TCP/IP keep alive settings at OS level.

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg118437

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg60759

Thank you.

Carlos.

1.7K Posts

February 21st, 2012 23:00

Hi Sabarna,

I would suggest to apply these changed on the registry for Windows boxes to avoid any TCP/IP timeout:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\TcpWindowSize=256000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize=16777216

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\KeepAliveInterval=1000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\KeepAliveTime=600000

Remember that these have to be applied in NetWorker server and NetWorker clients.

Thank you.

Carlos.

139 Posts

February 24th, 2012 05:00

Issue has been resolved.

1. Created NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT = 30.

2. Stop the windows firewall services.

3. Group inactvity timeout set to zero.

4. I got an error code:517 from windows server related to "system_state" dump. Backup has been retaken without error and now tape backup has been completed successfully.

1.7K Posts

February 25th, 2012 21:00

Hi Sabarna,

Probably here the solution was to set group timeout to "0" and stop Windows Firewall services. If I remember well the variable NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT=x no longer works or is no longer populated, so my advice would be to go for the registry changes instead, however if problem is no solved is your call.

Thank you.

Carlos.

No Events found!