Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 6th, 2010 01:00

changing connecting client name??

Hi all,

Just had a strange request from a customer. They have cloned some production machines into an closed testenviroment. The servers have same name as the production machines but different IP. The test enviroment is a "closed" test network but the Networker server can see this enviroment through a seperate NIC. The request is that they would like to backup these machine also. I have created at dummy name for one client on the backupserver and added this name to the new ip address in the hostfile. The problem is when I'm connecting from the client through the Networker Client it will try to connect with the name already existing in the production enviroment.

Is there any way that you can change the connecting client name?? I have tried to look at the nsr/res/nsrladb and changed some settings in here but with no luck. I know that this is not a supported solutions but I'm curious if it's possible tamper with the client to change connecting name??

88 Posts

July 6th, 2010 07:00

Hi - Let me see if I understand this correctly.

"Production" environment with NWServer1 and "Production" clients a-z.

"Cloned" environment on seperate network with "Cloned" clients a-z .

The aim is to have "Production" NWServer1 backup the "Cloned" clients a-z ??

If so, since it is a cloned client environment, the clientids are also the same, therefore changing the name the way you described may be opening a can a worms.

Remember that the savesets in the media database are owned by the clientids.

Therefore if you are to backup a production client, then do a backup of the same client in the cloned environment, the saveset would be associated with one clientid.

In a nutshell the customer may be exposing themself to media database issues and recovery problems.

Solutions that come to mind are:

1. Clone the NW server also and place it in the Clone Network. Use that cloned NW server to backup the Clone environment.

2. Properly rename the clients using a naming convention that makes the "Clone" name intuitivly associated with the production name.

support note esg67624 describes this process in details and may be viewed here > http://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg67624

Thanks.

16 Posts

July 6th, 2010 07:00

Hi,

If you want to change the connecting server name like you want it to connect to different server then, go to client and under /res/servers file put the nertworker server name and recycles the services, hence you will be able to communicate with the new server.

153 Posts

July 7th, 2010 01:00

Hi Jstamp,

I didn't think it was possible. I done some more testing but with no luck. Don't want to start playing around with changes in the nsrladb in the customers enviroment.

I have adviced the customer that they either need to rename their clients or make a test Networker server in that network. I also started thinking about certificate exchange between the Networker server and the client. The security in that its to "correct" client that I'm backing up and restoring to. I know that you could generate new certificates but as you mentioned this could open a can of worms if something goes wrong

Thanx alot for your reply

88 Posts

July 7th, 2010 15:00

Anytime broeste.

As you may well know the saying, "the road to hurt is paved with good intentions".

Its best to keep it simple and use the supported as a guide.

It was a pleasure to help.

14.3K Posts

July 13th, 2010 06:00

Define cloned machines over IP and make sure local /etc/hosts will not resolved them to anything.  Otherwise, you may use local hosts to assign dummy names and define them that way.

No Events found!