ram_prakash1
1 Nickel

Re: disaster recovery question

Hi Chetan,

Thx for your reply. Finally the FW ports were opened. Now I have also Decom the VBA from DR Networker(since VBA needs to be registered to Prod NW server), using the KB 000335878.

Is there a way we can re-register this VBA to a PROD Networker server.

OR do i need to redeploy the VBA again all the way(Definitely there should be some way vai CLI or something, but unable to find in Support)

Let me know if you have the steps to do it.

0 Kudos
ChetanTikandar
1 Nickel

Hi Ram,

Registering to another NetWorker server might not be supported. But since this  DR VBA is new, you can try the option 2 below and see if it helps. If it doesn't then option 1 will be the best way going forward.

Option 1) Deploy a fresh VBA on the DR site and then register it with the primary NW backup server.

Option 2)

On the DR site, launch the ebr-configure GUI for the DR VBA. IP will be something like this: https://DR-VBA-FQDN:8543/ebr-configure .  On the configuration page, remove the existing entries of the DR vCenter details and change it with the primary site vCenter credentials. Once this is done, go to the NetWorker configuration tab and then enter the VMUser password and get the VBA through a reboot and see if it helps showing up this DR VBA on the production NetWorker server.

ebr-configureGUI-registration.png

0 Kudos
ram_prakash1
1 Nickel

Hi Chetan,

Seems Option 2 cant be done. Since DR Site has its own Vcentre server. And DR VBA is hosted on DR Site Vcenter.

Also the FW ports are opened only in between DR VBA & Prod NW Server.

Changing the Networker Hostname under the Configuration Tab is also grey out.

Thx

Ram

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ChetanTikandar
1 Nickel

Hi Ram,

This leaves with option 1. Things should go fine this way.

Maybe EMC designed it to be that way i.e. one time configuration and if something is not right then redeploy it again. Our option 2 gives a lot of flexibility to simply move VBA between servers and maybe that does not work best and so it isn't allowed.

regards,

Chetan Tikandar

0 Kudos
Ahmed_Mahdy
1 Nickel

Dear Chetan,

Can you please mention a reference for this information?

And do you mean by this that CP discover and backup are no longer needed?

0 Kudos
ChetanTikandar
1 Nickel

Hi Ahmed,

The discussion here got side-tracked from the initial query posted.  To answer to the first query that post'er did, I believe, there is a section now in NW-VMware integration guide as to how to DR without DataDomain at DR site. I haven't checked it and unsure though there is an option but a riskier and unsupported by EMC I guess.

To answer your query, on 8.2.x a new feature was introduced i.e. recovery from a secondary site.  Kindly check the NW-VMware Integration for the section with the same keywords.  We can simply deploy a new VBA at DR site by maintaining the original NW server ( or by building the primary NW server at target site again , including the res & mm). Once this new VBA is registered to same VBA server, it would eventually see the details from the primary site VBA too.  So you can simply login to the DR site vsphere web client GUI and choose the primary VBA. This works even when the primary VBA is no longer present. Also works when the primary VBA is still up and running.

For this to work, you should have the saveset already cloned to the DR site so that you can use the 'replica save set copy' for cross-vCenter restore ( i.e. recovery from a secondary site)

And... the references for these information is through my research and experience on EMC VBA and not to forget the EMC documentation available for VBA

Regards,

Chetan Tikandar