hi

i need to backup a Cifs and NFS Shared paths by Networker 9.1,

i have multiple shares on islon and vnx

14.3K Posts

March 20th, 2017 06:00

Isn't that covered in docs?

2.4K Posts

March 20th, 2017 06:00

Just add their full pathnames to the save set list.

March 20th, 2017 08:00

Great, thank you.

263 Posts

March 20th, 2017 08:00

For information on how to back up a CIFS that is mounted on a Windows host, please look at:  NetWorker 9.1 Administrator guide:  "Mapped Drives", page 338-339.   There is also the online video:

How to Configure CIFS share backup for windows client

https://support.emc.com/media47125_How_to_Configure_CIFS_share_backup_for_windows_client.mp4?language=en_US

For NFS, you would backup the Unix/Linux client has the NFS mounted...  and you would specify the local mount point.  No special permissions are needed within NetWorker, since NetWorker runs using the root account, and the NFS is mounted at the O/S file system before backups can begin.

In both cases , the saveset name is either:

• the actual path of the CIFS or NFS

OR

• a parent directory or folder, or an entire partition, in which case, you will need to modify the NetWorker backup command to force it to cross the mount point boundary.  This is done using:  "save -xL"

Alternatively, consider backing up the Isilon and  VNX using NDMP backup method.

14.3K Posts

March 20th, 2017 12:00

Let's add that some alternatives exist too... for example, you can specify following save sets:

all-local

all-nfs

and this will pick up all local and nfs mnt points (and recently I noticed this works without adding save -L into backup command).  I don't know if all-cifs exists as I never had to use that one.  A bit disappointing (but if one tries to stretch it, you may find some logic there), if you specify all-nfs on system which doesn't have NFS mnt points, you will get an error for backup of that machine.

No Events found!