Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2008 06:00

monitoring networker

Hi all,

I want that a user can only monitor the networker from management console. I created a user group that has the monitor networker permission. However; it can also enable/disable autostart property of the groups but i do not want that.
Is there any way to solve this or any third partition tool that monitors the networker?
Thanks.

14.3K Posts

June 18th, 2008 09:00

Did you check to see if "User authentication for NetWorker" is enabled on NMC? All users by default have monitor permission so what would be the reason to give them special group?

28 Posts

June 19th, 2008 01:00

i think you misunderstood.
Here is the situation:
We assign a group of personnel in the department that will monitor all the systems via monitoring screens and their duties are;
- to monitor system back-ups and logs.
- not to enable/disable scheduled groups autostart property.
- can stop running back-ups when necessary.

Can we create a user having these permissions?

14.3K Posts

June 19th, 2008 04:00

Obviously to stop NW groups you need more than monitor privilege and that one might include other things as you already noticed.

14.3K Posts

June 19th, 2008 05:00

I also tried it now - and something is broken big time. I used 7.4SP2, create dummy user which was not listed anywhere in admin group and was able to do all sort of bad things including deleting volumes. It seems as bug (I didn't test it with nsrauth enabled, but I do not recall that being requirement) and you should report it to support.

28 Posts

June 19th, 2008 05:00

i have just create a default user and i can able to start and stop a group. The user is also not in the administrators group. just a default user with monitor privilege

14.3K Posts

June 20th, 2008 05:00

Funny enough, it happens only with NMC and backup server are installed on the same box... at least in my test case.

28 Posts

June 20th, 2008 05:00

in my case, i did the things from my desktop using NMC.

14.3K Posts

June 20th, 2008 06:00

I did that too, but the NMC is package is installed on the same box as backup server.

28 Posts

September 1st, 2008 22:00

If I install the NMC package on another server, will the problem be solved? is a dummy user still can start/stop a group or not?

14.3K Posts

September 9th, 2008 00:00

Yes, installing it on remote server addresses the issue.
No Events found!