Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2014 06:00

need to scan a saveset located on a data-domain

Hi,

I'm familiar with networker and -disk/tape devices but I'm new in working with data-domain.

The backup-zone I need to "support" is not mine so, I do not know that much of how it was configured.

I need to rebuild client index data and so I want to scan an index backup saveset.

I was guessing about a scanner -m -S but I don't know how to address the data-domain device.

NetWorker Server is windows based. (NetWorker 8.0.2)

may someone help me

2.4K Posts

February 21st, 2014 06:00

"scanner -m -S ... " is wrong. It is a valid command. However it will only return the save set information which you already have (the SSID). Also, on Windows, if you do not redirect the output, it will forward all data and send it to your screen. This does not make sense at all.

"scanner -i -S ..." is the correct command, apllied to a data save set, not to an index save set.

You must then specify the device path which you get from the "Device Access Information" attribute.

Be aware that scanner is a local command. Execute it on the storage node where the device is attached.

-------------------------------

A probably faster and easier way is to run a save set recovery to a temp directory and get your files from here. This will also avoid scanning which may take hours.

-------------------------------

And if you know the pathname frecisely, you could also get a subset from the save set. Use a command like

recover .... -S -a

The pathname must match precisely (watch out upper and lower case letters).

3 Posts

February 21st, 2014 07:00

the problem is as follows:

the backup of several windows VM's are scheduled by a savegroup, performin level full and went towards a data-domain.

however there are no client index data available (at least for clients of this group).
If I cheked the savegrp.log, the savegroup went fine by it's level and I also see that index was backed up for each client.

Now, as I tried to make a single file restore, no data was found. No full backup of the vm was found at the client index.

I tried to perform an nsrck -L7 -t "02/17/2014" and it completed without recreating any index. I then intend to do a scanner on the index saveset but failed because of the unknowm device path or -syntax.

I guess the admin missed to mark the Data Domain Backup checkbox at client's "Apps & Modules", "Deduplication" section. Other VM client's do have that parameter checked and do have indexes.

I'm confused.

14.3K Posts

February 21st, 2014 12:00

When you say VM backup, what kind of backup is it? Image backup or guest backup?  The pool used for this backups, does it have indexing enabled (by default yes, but we don't know your settings).  Check box for DD has nothing to do with browsability.

2.4K Posts

February 21st, 2014 13:00

As you are new to NW it would be better to provide the appropriate save set report. We will then be able to see the nature of the backups and most like understand the kind of backup better.

February 22nd, 2014 22:00

Hi,

Try Performing the index recovery from the next day Index tape.

If your backup happens on Feb 17th , Perform Index recovery from 18th tape (Just to make sure the Feb 17th data will be available , Incase your backups are running multiple times in a day).

Once Index recovery is done , perform "nsrinfo -t 02/18/2014 client_name" , This will provide info about the indexes available as of 18th Feb.

As for as scanner , you need to perform "scanner -vv -i -S "SSID" "device_name_of_datadomain"

HTH

Regards

Hari Prakash.

No Events found!