Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2009 02:00

networker insists on using not accessible tapes

Hi,

I have from time to time problems with tapes that are not accessible. Networker wants to use a specific tape and tries to unmount it from drive which is temporarily not accessible (storage node down, network problems etc) It keeps trying for hours however it has enough free or recyclable tapes in the tape library. How can I make Networker to leave a not accessible tape alone and use another one AUTOMATICALLY when such situation occurs?

I found some timers which look like the right ones:
Operation lifespan and Operation timeout - can they help?
The Auto media management option is enabled.

Our tape libraries are virtual if this changes anything.

Best regards,
Bartosz Maruszewski

Message was edited by: sender
bartoszm

10 Posts

I know that. And I know how to deal with this manually. But how can I explain to this software that when a tape is not accesible then it should AUTOMATICALLY try another one? Without my intervention. Or is it to much asked from this software? :)

Best regards,
Bartosz Maruszewski

14.3K Posts

Mark the tape as read only and NW will not ask for it for backup.

10 Posts

October 13th, 2009 03:00

Ok. Thanks for the clarifying. So it's just the way Networker works. It doesn't matter that a tape is in a faulty drive. Important is only that the tape is marked as fine and it will keep trying forever no matter what. Pity. I would personally expect something different but... whatever. We just have to live with that I guess.

Best regards,
Bartosz Maruszewski

14.3K Posts

October 13th, 2009 03:00

Obviously software is not aware that is not accessible. From what you have said it sounds as tape is stuck in drive, right? When NW asks for tape it check mdb for volumes, their location and state. The tape you hit the problem with does match criteria to be loaded. Thus you are left only by manually setting this tape to read-only until available again.
No Events found!