Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2017 03:00

nsrim.exe using all available server memory

Hello all,

I have a problem which has only just started happening after no obvious server changes.  We are using networker 8.2.3.1.  (Windows 2008 R2)

every night when backup jobs run it seems that NSRIM.EXE is using 30GB of memory.  This causes jobs to fail and Networker to crash, mainly because of timeout error and resource issues because of this process.

I can get back into the networker GUI by shutting down all services and processes, this has happened now for 2 weeks and not occurred before.

EMC support saying we should upgrade to 8.2.3.8 - There release notes do mention a bug for a memory leak but is specific to Exchange only.  I have no idea why this bug has only just started happening, I am hoping someone can shed some light on this and perhaps a workaround to the problem other then upgrading.

Thanks,

April 25th, 2017 05:00

Thanks for your advice

14.3K Posts

I second what support said.  As you use SP3 it makes sense to use latest post SP3 patch which is 8.2.3.8.  On Linux I haven't seen issues yet in that domain so this could be Windows specific, but I suspect 8.2.3.8 could really fix it for you.

1.7K Posts

Hi there,

There are various reasons as of why could be happening, such as lag in the expiration of savesets, long queue of savesets to be deleted due to devices being busy etc.

I would strongly recommend to upgrade to latest built, as you are just using the first cumulative, as there has been multiple code improvements and fixes related to nsrmmdbd, which is the process with whome nsrim interacts directly, including some memory leaks as well, so first step I would recommend would be that, upgrading NW server and storage nodes to 8.2.3.8

Thank you,

Carlos

April 26th, 2017 00:00

This is the memory leak we had last night which has been typical, with what you are saying would you say the spike is caused by jobs ending at this time?

Or should I be looking at jobs starting?  The time is between 430-5AM that it happens, it drops when I get to work and force NSRIM to quit.

Thanks agian

Capture.PNG.png

1.7K Posts

June 12th, 2017 07:00

Gregoire,

Rather than renaming nsrimexe, would be better to "touch" nsrim.prv, and then schedule it with Windows task scheduler.

If you schedule it but don't rename the .exe file, it will never run, as it won't find it due to the name change.

Thank you,

Carlos

June 12th, 2017 07:00

Hello, we get kind the same behavior in the past. As workaround, we have renamed NSRIM.EXE into NSRIMABC.EXE, and scheduled it with Microsoft scheduler. It guaranteed that the nsrim process is running outside our backup windows and not 12 hours after networker service start.
We have to do this renaming by every networker update.
Hope it will help you. 
Cheers.

March 25th, 2019 00:00

Good Idea !
No Events found!