Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

July 25th, 2007 06:00

nsrstage command has retried times

Hi,
I run a stage process ( Start NOW ) to move data on a storage node from its adv_file to the tapes it owns in DDS with other stnodes.
The command started 1 hour ago and on the storage node ( w2K ) I see someting like it is starting "nsrmmd#13 .....Automated staging as determined the need to migrate 0KB"; this is typical when I run it using "Start now". On the server side the process is up but nothing happen, apart the message:
nsrstage: nsrstage command has retried 102 times.
nsrstage: nsrstage command has retried 122 times.
repeated until now and continuing.
The problem seems that the stnode is not able to reply to the server; I have stopped/started networker on the storage node side but nothing happen.
The storage node is able to ping the server and to run rpcinfo -p servername also.

What I can do to fix it ? It's enough to try to kill nsrstage and redo from start ? Is a signal of something bad ? Or have I to wait the filesystem check interval ( 6 hours for me ).

Please, a suggestion .....

Thanks a lot in advance !!!

Pierpa

14.3K Posts

July 25th, 2007 06:00

Try nsrstage from cmd and see what message do you get then. Are you sure you have something to stage according to watermark set?

1 Rookie

• 

75 Posts

July 25th, 2007 07:00

Hi,
new run by command line:

unlb-legato-01:/home/solveit # nsrstage -v -b "Tape 3M" -m -S 4037486709
Obtaining media database information on server unlb-legato-01.dpko.un.org
Parsing save set id(s)
Migrating the following save sets (ids):
Automatically copying save sets(s) to other volume(s)

Starting migration operation...
NSR server unlb-legato-01.dpko.un.org: busy
waiting 30 seconds then retrying
NSR server unlb-legato-01.dpko.un.org: busy
waiting 30 seconds then retrying
nsrstage: nsrstage command has retried 2 times.

Boh .... why ...?????!!!!!!!!!!!

Pierpa

1 Rookie

• 

75 Posts

Hi,
I run it with "start now" asking to stage everything, so nno highwatermarks are checked.

Pierpa

14.3K Posts

Could be that you don't have devices available for that pool at the moment.

1 Rookie

• 

75 Posts

July 25th, 2007 08:00

Hi friends,
I'VE FOUND !!!

I stage from an adv_file to a tape. Apparently the advfile was mounted correctly. I dismounted the NON-RO advfile, mounted again and voilà, the stage now is running quickly via commandline and via GUI.

But I cannot figure out why the advfile had to be unmounted and mounted again.
I'm using 7.3.2. Jumbo Update 1 ( build 386 ). Are you aware of any issue like this.

I've seen sometimes as well that after Networker reboot the advfiles need to be mounted by hand. Any comment on this as well ??

Thanks Hrvoje for your infinite patience in replying! !!!!!!

Pierpa

1 Rookie

• 

75 Posts

July 25th, 2007 08:00

Hi,
this is not the case. I've all the tapes free.

Thanks for any suggestion. I'm close to be crazy...

Pierpa

14.3K Posts

July 25th, 2007 09:00

It doesn't have to be enmounted and mounted again - it is possible that somehow got itself in unmounted state or something. What I usually do, cloning or staging, I always use -S ssid/cloneid combination. adv_file devices have 2 same ssids, bu they have different cloneids. I was once playing with that and found interesting results. By default, when you don't specify cloneid NW will use ssid/cloneid from RO device... and if that one was unmounted for some reason (and that's possible and get's easily unnoticed) you will get message like the one you did.

68 Posts

July 25th, 2007 10:00

On your "But I cannot figure out why the advfile had to be unmounted and mounted again. I'm using 7.3.2. Jumbo Update 1 ( build 386 ). Are you aware of any issue like this."

Yes, I have had this with build 386 and it still is in 399. it is hit and miss not all the time. I have a couple of hot fix's running on my 399 build as so far it has not happened again. I can not say for sure that the hot fix has taken care of this but it has been est 4 reboots and I still have them mounted after reboot.

14.3K Posts

July 25th, 2007 13:00

I have seen with 7.2.2 (no jumbo) same thing when sometime after reboot adv_file device would not be mounted, but in my case that would be for both RW and RO device. Since I have a script which does some sanity check upon startup I simply added nsrmm action to mount devices if not mounted.

1 Rookie

• 

75 Posts

July 25th, 2007 21:00

Hrvoje,
therefore something is not managing these adv_files correctly at startup.
I'll try to do the same in my environment; now, at least, I know that I'm not into a dream but the same happens to someone else ...

Thanks again for your suggestions!!

Pierpa
No Events found!