Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2011 08:00

oldauth vs. nsrauth

Hi.

We are having alot of "nsr peer information" errors in our logs. The trick to delete the nsr peer information has not resolved anything. We are running NetWorker 7.6.1.5 on the server. All the clients reporting the peer information error are also running NW 7.6.1.5

EMC is encouraging us to change the auth type from nsrauth to oldauth.

My question is: Is oldauth any worse than nsrauth? Are we loosing any functionality by using oldauth compared by using nsrauth?

Regards,

Johannes

14.3K Posts

May 20th, 2011 12:00

No, you should disable nsrauth.  Actually, if you have any sort of cluster in your environment you do not have choice.  In theory, you gain nothing that would make visible difference and despite all problems nsrauth remains enabled by default.   Disabling it on server and storage nodes will help   Over the past few years, I have seen few customer becoming attached to GUI based upgrades using NW repository.  If you have NMC running outside server box then without nsrauth that won't work - but only from GUI - nsrpush from backup server will still work and make its work.   I believe nsrauth is was thing that NW engineers will surely have to rewrite in one of forthcoming versions.

144 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 02:00

I don't care so much about GUI based nsrpush.

Is that all we loose?

There are some articles that mention disabling nsrauth, but none of them mentions what it means for the datazone. And the name "oldauth" does not sound very trustworthy.

Kind regards,

Johannes

14.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2011 03:00

You shouldn't care how something is called - it's just name.  nsrauth as such is not something that one should use until rewritten - period (my opinion).  And since you have been suggested that already... just do it (nike).

144 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 05:00

I found an aricle in the knowledge base that indicates that we would have access right issues if we use oldauth.

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg104102

The reolustion here is to configure NetWorker to use nsrauth. With oldauth, administrative rights is granted to all users. This article refers to NetWorker 7.4.2 but I have not noticed that the security model has changed since then.

regards,

Johannes

14.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2011 06:00

You are stubborn, aren't you?  That article discusses issues with NMC logging which was present in the past.  Don't be afraid, do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it...

No Events found!