Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 8th, 2007 23:00

savegrp.exe command - Windows user account permissions?

Hi all,

Does anyone know what Windows permissions / policy settings are required for a specific user account to successfully run the savegrp.exe command without being a member of local administrator?

We use a script to backup certain servers due to other automated tasks that need to be run. Due to a recent security shakeup, the account that the script was run from was removed from the local administrator group on our NetWorker server, and the script now fails.

I have already tried the common sense stuff, like the Backup Operators group, and policy settings like "Log on as a batch job". The account already has administrator permissions inside NetWorker (have tested this with NetWorker User).

Below is the error I get when running the command as the specific account, without the admin rights. For testing purposes, the client in the group below triggers a local backup of C:\temp on the NetWorker server, and not backups of another client as we normally do. I have also tried using the runas command as well as logging in locally as the user account.
--------------
C:\Batch>savegrp AUPML_control-m_testgroup
05/09/07 12:33:51 savegrp: You are not authorized to run this command
--------------
The server is Win2003 and NetWorker version is 7.2.1.

Any assistance would be really appreciated. I can't find any mention of permissions in the savegrp documentation.

14.3K Posts

May 9th, 2007 02:00

Ah... control-m... now I saw that... you are using c-m scheduler? Not sure if that will work, but you could start group via nsradmin if user has correct rights in NW. Give it a try to see if that works.

14.3K Posts

May 9th, 2007 02:00

Never tried that, but something tells me you need admin account (same as nsrjb). Why don't you simly run group over GUI then and setup permissions on NW level?

13 Posts

May 9th, 2007 17:00

Yes we are using Control-M unfortunatly. We have a whole "automation team" just to look after it. The servers that get backed up are Oracle servers, they schedule a bunch of other tasks for these servers then run a backup every few hours. They also do it this way so that they can automate alarms and notifications via our Service Desk software, so we can't do it in in reverse, i.e. schedule it in NetWorker with pre and post command scripts for the Oracle stuff.

We are also using rsh to execute the commands remotely via Control-M, but for my testing I have been doing everything locally.

The rights in NetWorker are correct because I've tested backups via nsradmin and also backup/restore via the NetWorker User console.

I just tried nsrjb, and guess what.....
------------
C:\Documents and Settings\s-iaubatp>nsrjb
nsrjb: You are not authorized to run this command
------------
Surely there must be a way around this, or is this a side effect of NetWorker being ported from the unix world?

14.3K Posts

May 10th, 2007 00:00

It's really funny that your concern is security, but you keep using rsh - those two usually don't mix together. In UNIX world we use sudo - I believe I have heard of Windows port of it, but you will need to google on that.

If you are running Oracle backups (RMAN) why not starting them from Oracle client itself via oracle user? I currently use autosys so I can't check if anything additional can be done with c-m...

You said rights are correct - does that mean you start group via nsradmin? Because if you can that is your solution then.

38 Posts

December 3rd, 2015 12:00

Hello Hrvoje Crvelin

I wanted to schedule   Networker 8.2 backups using autosys.  Would it be possible to share a sample script??

Regards

Aijaz

14.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2015 15:00

You don't need script; with autosys you can just define command you wish to use and that can be either calling savegrp on server or save on the client.  The parameters you will use with those are pure NW based and depend on what you wish to do with such job.

38 Posts

December 4th, 2015 05:00

Thanks Hrvoje Crvelin

Regards

aijaz

No Events found!