bingo.1
4 Beryllium

Re: sql backup in networker 9.0.0.2 can not be started

Accdoring to the VDI User Guide, the User GUI can also be used here.

0 Kudos
EMC555
1 Copper

can you point me VDI user guide for networker 9.0.1 ?

0 Kudos
bingo.1
4 Beryllium

Here you can find all docs - be aware that those are not sorted by version numbers:

https://support.emc.com/products/1136_NetWorker-Module-for-Microsoft/Documentation/

The Documentation Portfolio always contains the whole set:

https://support.emc.com/docu71099_NetWorker%C2%A0Module-for-Microsoft-9.0.1-Documentation-Portfolio....

0 Kudos
EMC555
1 Copper

I am getting following message when run backup , any idea ?

43708:(pid 3184):Start time: Thu Dec 08 07:16:26 2016

153897:(pid 3184):Computer name: LAB4     User name: Administrator

Check the detailed logs at 'C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\applogs\nsrsqlsv.log'.

38571:(pid 3184): Bad switch: -o

38562:(pid 3184): Unsupported savegrp option -o will be ignored

107092:(pid 3184):Version information for C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\bin\nsrsqlsv.exe: Original file name: nsrsqlsv.exe Version: 9.0.1.692 Comments: Supporting SQL 2005, SQL 2008, SQL 2008 R2, SQL 2012 and SQL 2014

136421:(pid 3184):Save level MSSQL:test1 is obsolete. Change the save level to logs only and try-again.

37758:(pid 3184): Usage: nsrsqlsv [<options>] {path}

options: [-CGjqRTvkuHXZ] [-s server] [-N name] [-b pool] [-g group]

[-S count] [-l level] [-m masquerade] [-U user [-P passwd]]

[-O "sqlOption1[,sqlOption2][,...]"]

[[-A virtual-server] | [-c client]] [-a device interface=data domain] [-f aes] [-w browse] [-y retention]

[[-A virtual-server] | [-c client]] [-a De-duplication backup=yes] [-a De-duplication node=<Avamar Node Name>] [-a De-duplication client name=<client>] [-f aes] [-w browse] [-y retention]

[[-A virtual-server] | [-c client]] [-z FEDERATED_SLAVE=true]

[[-A virtual-server] | [-c client]] [-z NSR_SKIP_LOGGAP_DETECTION=TRUE]

[-a "SKIP_BACKUP_PROMOTION=[TRUE|FALSE]"]

path:    d-path | i-path

d-path:  MSSQL: | [MSSQL:]s-path [[MSSQL:]s-path [...]]

i-path:  MSSQL$inst-name: | MSSQL$inst-name:s-path [...]

s-path:  database | database. | database.filegroup |

database.filegroup. | database.filegroup.file

43709:(pid 3184):Stop time: Thu Dec 08 07:16:26 2016

0 Kudos
Highlighted
EMC555
1 Copper

Hi

Every body figured out.

I was not running networker for sql user gui under admin privileges.

Thank you all.

0 Kudos
ElanC
2 Iron

Hi EMC55,

>>>136421:(pid 3184):Save level MSSQL:test1 is obsolete. Change the save level to logs only and try-again.

This is due to the backuplevel changes in the NW 9.0 and above onwards.  You need to choose the "Log only" backup option in the policy as the backup type INCR has been deprecated in the latest version of NW (i.e. 9.0 and above).   After this change in the server, retry the backup.  It should work.

Thanks,

Elango C

0 Kudos
ElanC
2 Iron

OK.  Good to know.

Thanks,

Elango C

0 Kudos
dmitr
1 Copper

HI ElanC,

I did not find this in the documentation:

<<This is due to the backuplevel changes in the NW 9.0 and above onwards.  You need to choose the "Log only" backup option in the policy as the backup type INCR has been deprecated in the latest version of NW (i.e. 9.0 and above).   After this change in the server, retry the backup.>>

can you explain?

What do you mean for INCR?

How can i make incremental backup for sql?

Thank You!

0 Kudos
wlee4
3 Argentium

NMM 9.x for SQL VDI supports manual, scheduled, and federated backups of SQL Server. NMM provides support for SQL Server 2012 and 2014 federated backup functionality for SQL Server AlwaysOn databases.

NMM supports three levels of backup: full, logs only, and cumulative incremental. A full backup backs up the entire database, including all file groups or files in the database. A logs only backup corresponds to a SQL Server transaction log backup and cannot by itself be used to recover a database. A cumulative incremental backup captures all changes since the last full backup.

ElanC
2 Iron

Hi Dmitr,

I was the dev lead engineer to do this change in NMM 9.0.   If you would have observed (Prior to 9.0) SQL module does refer the SQL Transaction logs as INCR;  This got changed from NMM 9.0 onwards. i.e. INCR changed to LOGS ONLY and DIF changed to CUMULATIVE INCREMENTAL.

>>>How can i make incremental backup for sql?

If you are using NMM 9.0 SQL module, you must choose "LOGS ONLY" as a backup type inorder to perform the INCR or SQL Transaction logs backup.

Thanks,

Elango C