Highlighted
mnefferdorf
1 Nickel

standalone drive volume not in media index

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I'm using a standalone drive on a storage node in a far away country. every time I want to mount a new volume on the drive, I'm receiving the message "volume not in media index". After the acknowledge I'm mounting it a second time and then tape is mounted with any further error message. Networker 7.6.3 server is on Linux. Anybody seen this problem before?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
singhmridul
1 Nickel

Re: standalone drive volume not in media index

Jump to solution

as you mentioned you when you are using a new volume, and that is your answer.

Whenever you add a volume, which is new to networker, networker will complain that, it is not present in the media database. This even applies to any volume, which was labelled and used in any other networker datazone.

This is a standard behavior. If you get the same message, again on an existing volume, then this calls for a concern.

As Hrvoje said, i would leave the values at default, if there is no issue occuring.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mnefferdorf
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Did anybody use these parameters for a standalone drive? Perhaps I need to put there some vlaues.

- Device load time

- Device eject time

- Device min load tries

Thanks

0 Kudos
ble1
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Leave default ones if facing no issues.

0 Kudos
singhmridul
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

as you mentioned you when you are using a new volume, and that is your answer.

Whenever you add a volume, which is new to networker, networker will complain that, it is not present in the media database. This even applies to any volume, which was labelled and used in any other networker datazone.

This is a standard behavior. If you get the same message, again on an existing volume, then this calls for a concern.

As Hrvoje said, i would leave the values at default, if there is no issue occuring.

0 Kudos
bingo.1
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

I wonder why the media should unmount itself at all? - By default this is not the case for a standalone drive.

This makes sense as for a remote location you would need somebody to reinsert the media, if required.

However, you did not mention an unload issue but an unmount issue.

In this case, i expect "a SCSI related issue" which causes the tape to be unmounted while NW (the media index?) still thinks it is mounted. That's what might confuse the media index. To clear a SCSI error, you usually must issue two attempts - with the first try, you become aware of the problem which is then cleared by the second attempt so the retry would usually end successfully.

It is, however, not a SCSI Reset issue as this would physically unload/eject the tape.

0 Kudos
mnefferdorf
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hello all,

thanks for your answer. Please note, the volume is in the media db, because as described, the volume is mounted by the 2. attempt.

@bingo: The tape does not unmount itself. It's only the behaviour by putting in a new volume. But your explanation gave me a suspicion.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mnefferdorf
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Good morning,

I checked it again, but first the volumes are unmounted, then taken out of the drive. So the volume is unounted correctly. Then another volume is put into the drive and a mount attempt is started.

I'm still checking

Mark

0 Kudos