Closed

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

March 25th, 2022 08:00

isProTipisHighlyActiveTopic

Build your own OS10 network, for free!

Hi folks,

Are you looking for a way to learn networking but don’t have access to a rack full of physical switches ?

Well look no further … Dell have released virtualized appliances capable of running the OS10 network operating system. Dell have always believed in Open Networking, and by providing a GNS3 bundle that is freely available for download, this empowers anyone to import OS10 appliances into their GNS3 topologies.

The OS10 appliance can be downloaded from the Dell support site

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ie/product-support/product/smartfabric-os10-emp-partner/drivers

Kind Regards,

-Barry

#IWork4Dell

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

October 13th, 2022 07:00

Here is the link I used to download the OS10 virtualization bundle 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ie/product-support/product/smartfabric-os10-emp-partner/drivers

I used the 10.5.4.0 version as this was the latest available at the time.

If the vm is under-resourced it can cause problems for the OS10 install. Increasing the CPU resources for the GNS3 VM & aligning the GNS3 VM preferences to make use of the additional CPU and RAM can ensure there is enough resources for the OS10 install to complete successfully.

1 Attachment

6 Posts

October 19th, 2022 21:00

Hi everyone,

The problem was in the vm setup. Using any vm make sure
CPU: minimum 2
RAM: 5GB.

By increasing the limit I can smoothly use all versions of OS10.

Thank you very much @Dell-BarryOSullivan@ToroMac   for helping to get this problem resolved.

Community Manager

• 

478 Posts

June 27th, 2022 06:00

I totally agree with you. Happy Learning to you all! 

Community Manager

• 

156 Posts

This is a great way to learn networking, practice for certification exams, build experience with OS10 commands and build your own custom networks.

Happy Learning! 

Community Manager

• 

478 Posts

Thank you Barry for your great post! 

26 Posts

July 11th, 2022 08:00

I am excited to be recording a Listen & Learn podcast w/ you, Barry (bfosullivan) later this week for future release on our Blogs $ Podcasts board.

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

August 1st, 2022 08:00

thanks Tim, looking forward to it 

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

August 1st, 2022 09:00

Hi folks,

There can be quite a few steps in building your own network … so please find a short document attached that describes the steps involved in configuring a GNS3 Server VM on vSphere7 with OS 10.5.4

This is a great way to build your own learning network for free … wishing you all the best with these amazing learning blocks  … happy building !

Kind Regards,

Barry

1 Attachment

10 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 04:00

@Dell-BarryOSullivan  interesting! I also just viewed your short videos on the same topic.

6 Posts

October 11th, 2022 18:00

I've tried to download and successfully setup on gns3. When login console with user and pass : admin is always incorrect.

I am very happy with this bundle package. but I'm frustrated when I try to enter the console and start config. Please help @Dell-BarryOSullivan @bfosullivan 

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

October 12th, 2022 03:00

Hi totorajo,

The default username and password for OS10 virtual switches is admin / admin

The default username and password for the GNS3 server vm is gns3 / gns3

I'll add the gns3 login details to the guide to make that clearer. I'm glad to hear your are very happy with the bundle, so many thanks for your feedback & best of luck building your own private networks

1 Attachment

6 Posts

October 12th, 2022 06:00

Thanks for the explanation @Dell-BarryOSullivan 
I'm trying to create a gns3 vm using virtual box and running. I access the console switch and wait until OS10 finishes. Enter user and pass : admin still not correct. Should I use a VMware ESXI VM and use a remote server?

I am attaching an attachment to my problem for evaluation.

1-gns-vm-Screenshot at Oct 12 20-21-32.png

2- gns3-clien-Screenshot at Oct 12 20-22-14.png

3- error-login-console-Screenshot at Oct 12 20-22-51.png

6 Posts

October 12th, 2022 08:00

Hi @ToroMac 
I downloaded from
https://dl.dell.com/downloads/DLD3289_Dell-EMC-SmartFabric-OS10-Version,-10.5.4.3,-GNS3-Bundle.zip

I got the link from one of the versions here
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-id/product-support/product/smartfabric-os10-emp-partner/drivers

Please tell me the file you downloaded. I've tried to change using virtualbox, vmware fusion all can't login with admin/admin.

4 Posts

October 12th, 2022 08:00

Unsure if that is an artifact of Virtual Box or not. I don't expect that it would be. I am using GNS3 on Linux, not installed as a VM and admin/admin works for me correctly.

Do you have the link to the files which you downloaded?

Alasdair

#IWorkForDell

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

October 12th, 2022 14:00

Hi totorajo,

In my example, I downloaded OS10.5.4.0 and installed using a GNS3 Server vm on an ESXi Server. I agree with ToroMac, in that I don't immediately see how a different virtualization platform (VirtualBox) would cause a login issue for the OS10 appliance. 

As a test, what happens if you login as linuxadmin \ linuxadmin. Once logged in to a linux prompt type "sudo –i" & re-enter "linuxadmin" this will move you from being logged in as linuxadmin to being logged in as root user. 

Once logged in as root, type "passwd admin" to reset the password. In my screenshot example, I simply re-entered "admin" twice (despite the warning about password being too simple). As this is a test environment, obviously we'd recommend more secure non-default passwords in real/production networks.

Exit from linux mode (exit + logout) and retry logging in with the default OS10 admin account.

1 Attachment

No Events found!