Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2015 13:00

5548 downloaded config fails to upload (on line dot1x auth-not-req)

Hi,

I've got a pair of 5548 stacked, i've had them running in a basic config for a few months and besides a port that won't stay up (and makes me believe it's a hardware issue) they have been rock solid.

My current problem is as follows:

I download the current running-config to a txt but if i attempt to upload it it parses the file up to the second vlan configuration and chokes on this line:

dot1x auth-not-req

Now, the complete vlan config is:

interface vlan 3
 name ADSL.69
 dot1x auth-not-req
!

The first one is the default one and only has the ip address.

Now, i've read the CLI manual and it looks like everything is where it should be. In fact, the file is generated by the switch, not by me so... Why wouldn't it parse? what is it that it doesn't like about the parameter?

I wanted to use the cli because i'm creating new vlans and wanted to edit the config directly without waiting a couple of second between each port i want to configure (and besides, that's the real way to use them).

Ideas?

6 Posts

February 17th, 2015 15:00

Yep, both GUI and CLI add it without issue, that's what's bugging me.

• 

8.5K Posts

Hi,

What is the firmware version? If you remove that one line will it move on? Does it give an error when it gets to that line?

• 

8.5K Posts

Will it let you manually add that line to the vlan config?

• 

8.5K Posts

Is there any other dot1x config prior to the lines that it hangs on? Maybe it doesn’t see a dot1x auth configured yet and is not sure what to do with the command.

6 Posts

The original error was:

Error in configuration download Line: 38 Command: dot1x auth-not-req

Software version is:

Unit             SW version         Boot version         HW version

------------------- ------------------- ------------------- -------------------

1               4.1.0.16            1.0.0.14            00.00.02

2               4.1.0.16            1.0.0.14            00.00.02

In the end, since i don't yet use dot1x auth, i just removed the line from all vlans and since each vlan'ed port is a member of their vlan it caused no problems.

But i do want to enable dot1x auth in the future and it's kinda weird that a file generated by the show running would fail to parse (I also attempted to copy the .txt to the startup config in case it was having troubles with the running config, but same error).

6 Posts

None, and if i removed that line it said the same error on the next. There is no dot1x config in the entire file, only the directive to NOT use it on the vlans.

AFAIK dot1x comes enabled by default, if the ports are not members of the vlan OR the vlan has that line, they don't work, since i wanted to be foolproof i had both. When configured from the GUI it worked fine, just now that i wanted to edit the file did this problem arise.

6 Posts

February 17th, 2015 16:00

It may be usefull to know that the only time the error appears is when trying to upload the config to the switch (be it running or startup). If the vlan already has the dot1x setting applied a copy from running to startup raises no flags, and i don't have the serial cable hooked up so i didn't check if it says anything when starting from a reload.

• 

8.5K Posts

I am thinking that is the issue, I will try and recreate it and see what happens.

• 

8.5K Posts

Try running show dot1x and see if it is enabled. The manual seems to show that it should be off by default.

6 Posts

# show dot1x

802.1x is disabled

Could that be the issue? In that were the case, shouldn't both the GUI and the CLI send some kind of warning? (or the error could be more explicit heh).

• 

8.5K Posts

March 10th, 2015 10:00

We were able to recreate it, it will be fixed in a future firmware update.

No Events found!