Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2022 16:00

Can't clear VTY line and can't access SSH

Hi, Folks,

I'm facing an issue with the DELL model S5048F that was recently updated. I can't access via SSH and I can't clear VTY sessions with the command "clear line vty x or clear line x"
I ran the cleanup command but it doesn't remove vty line

13 Posts

July 7th, 2022 16:00

Apply this command  in CLI, 

remote-exec cp ps -aux | grep ssh -> list ssh processs

After apply kill in pid process 

remote-exec cp kill -9 5940 (pid)

After apply the commands below 
conf t
no ip ssh server enable
ip ssh server enable
exit

• 

3.1K Posts

May 29th, 2022 23:00

Hi @DiegoCJ,

This is Joey from the enterprise social support. I notice you posted a message on an old thread about clearing VTY. I'm unsure if VTY session would be related to your SSH connection issue. The recent update might have made some changes on SSH configuration or might have cleared them. Try checking them via local serial connection to the switch with telnet and reconfigure SSH. https://dell.to/3a5PHrM

13 Posts

May 30th, 2022 08:00

Hi Joey
All SSH access is identified as a vty virtual session, and when it reaches 10 we cannot access via ssh. We have already upgraded to version 9.14(2.14) but the problem persists.

• 

3.3K Posts

May 30th, 2022 10:00

Hello DiegoCJ,

This may help: Enabling the System to Clear Existing Sessions

https://dell.to/3NIkg5E

13 Posts

May 30th, 2022 12:00

Hi Charles,

I Tryed but dont't work.

• 

3.3K Posts

May 30th, 2022 13:00

Hello DiegoCJ,

Did it produce any errors or fault message you can share?

Was this issue occurring before the update?

Have you customized Concurrent Session limits?

https://dell.to/38TAp9E

13 Posts

May 31st, 2022 11:00

Hi Charles 

There are no logs and Dell support has always said that it is necessary to update but they don't give a better solution

13 Posts

May 31st, 2022 13:00

Some screenshots of the current status

DiegoCJ_1-1654027377125.png

DiegoCJ_2-1654027572813.png

• 

3.3K Posts

May 31st, 2022 13:00

Hello DiegoCJ,

The second image did not come through. Could you repost it?

What do you get if you try:

Dell#configure

DellEMC(config)#login concurrent-session clear-line enable

Can you provide more feedback when you say you tried, the steps on the article provided, but don't work:

What part did not work?

What was the result of the attempt?  (more screenshots of the effort may help.)

Was this issue occurring before the update?

Has it ever worked and if so do you know of anything that was done around the time it quit working?

Enabling the System to Clear Existing Sessions

https://dell.to/3x4eZ2G

13 Posts

May 31st, 2022 14:00

Hi, Charles
I access the console and I try to use the clear command but the sessions continue and it is already activated "concurrent-session clear-line"
It is possible to login via start shell and kill vty sessions or some other alternative

13 Posts

May 31st, 2022 16:00

Everything indicates that the SSH process is stuck

• 

3.1K Posts

May 31st, 2022 22:00

Hi @DiegoCJ,

Could you run a show tech support to check the ONIE and Firmware Updater version? 

I spoke to one of my co-worker in networking about your issue, and he mentioned that he has some suspicion on the SSH configuration. You mentioned you have contacted Dell support? - Have you tried asking them to check the SSH configuration? It's an analysis of the switch configuration logs.

13 Posts

June 4th, 2022 06:00

OK I will collect this information

Thanks

17 Posts

June 24th, 2022 09:00

We are facing the same issue with some Dell S4048-ON switches that were recently updated to version 9.14 (2.14).

We can't connect via SSH or Telnet. When we connect by console we see that there are no users using the VTY and we do not see a high use of CPU or management-CPU.

We tried disabling and enabling the SSH and Telnet services, but the problem was not solved.

There are already 04 switches out of a total of 30 upgraded switches that have the same problem.

We will make a ticket to Dell with the background that we have collected.

17 Posts

June 28th, 2022 12:00

We ran some more tests and found that the problem itself is the ssh service.

We were able to connect to the switch by console and when performing a "show ip server", we see that the service is enabled. When trying to disable it with the "no ip ssh server enable" command, the console would get stuck without responding.

After a while, we recovered the connection through the console and we were able to verify that the service remained enabled, despite having executed the command to disable it.

Finally, we then decided to reboot the switch and connect again by console. This time the ssh service was disabled.

I don't think rebooting a switch is a valid workaround.

Does anyone have another clue about this issue?

Still have no answer from Dell.

No Events found!