Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2011 13:00

Changing 2724 to managed mode

I have a 2724 in unmanaged mode. I want to know how much traffic is going to/from the different IP addresses.

1) If I change to managed mode, will the 2724 provide the information of how many bytes went to/from different IP addresses over some time period?

2) If yes, then when I switch to managed mode, will it continue to route as it does now, or do I need to manually configure each port? I have a bunch of live sites working fine through the switch, but if I restart the switch in managed mode will those sites all be dead until I do some tedious configuring?

7 Posts

November 15th, 2011 11:00

Last night I switched my 2748 & 2724 from un-managed to managed. The 2748 went smoothly. The 2724 did not.

I did this after hours & did not notice any interruptions with the 2748. But I didn't verify if I had connectivity during the changeover.

The following is my experience.

2748 : I used a paper clip to push the manage/un-manage button. I waited for the manage LED to stop flashing. I configured my  laptop with IP 192.168.2.3 & plugged it into a spare port on the switch. I brought up a browser & entered 192.168.2.1 to access the switch web interface. Default log-in is username: admin with blank password. You must click OK. I then changed the IP to our network 10.X.X.X & clicked Apply Changes. I also changed the password. I reset my laptop IP to 10.X.X.X & was able to log-in to the switch. This took a few minutes & I didn't notice any disruptions.

2724: I repeated the above but when I tried to Log-in after changing the IP & password. Apparently this is not uncommon. (see below for the error & link)

The switch stopped passing traffic. I tried resetting the switch to un-managed mode by pressing the button. This didn't work. I finally relocated all active cables to open ports on my 2748 & put all unactive cables on a slower backup switch.  I was able to get the switch to reset by holding the button for 30-sec. & waited for the manage LED to stop flashing. I repeated this till I had cycled through managed, un-managed, and back to managed. (I just did this because it just seemed right, not that I had any indication that I needed to)  I rebooted my laptop & cleared all browser history & cache. I log-in to 192.168.2.1. to access the switch web interface. Default log-in is username: admin with blank password. You must click OK. I then changed the IP to our network 10.X.X.X & clicked Apply Changes. I also changed the password. I reset my laptop IP to 10.X.X.X & was able to log-in to the switch. I put the switch back online.

''ERROR

User name or password missing''

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-switches/f/866/t/19249484.aspx

7 Posts

November 15th, 2011 16:00

What is Port Mirroring

www.miarec.com/.../what-is-port-mirroring

Here's a link on how to configure the 2700 switches for Port Mirroring

www.miarec.com/.../how-configure-port-mirroring-dell-powerconnect-2700-series

5 Posts

November 15th, 2011 13:00

Thanks, that gives me confidence that I won't have an interruption when I switch.

Do you know if I can get the information I want out of the switch after I switch to managed? Will it tell me how many packets/bytes/whatever are going to the different ports/IPs?

7 Posts

November 15th, 2011 15:00

This is my 1st day in managed mode. The info provided is not extensive. There is a "RMON Statistics" page that lets you look at 1 port at a time. Mainly aggregate info. You can select each port to view from a radio button drop down. The manual referes to mirroring ports so you can set-up a packet sniffer on the mirrored port. You should be able to log traffic for analysis.

You could also use a LAN Tap like this one for $15:

Be sur to read the restrictions.

http://hakshop.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/throwing-star-lan-tap

I'm not sure if the MRTG Multi Router Traffic Grapher will help.  see link

It says Routers but I think it's just graphing data.

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-nt-guide.en.html

7 Posts

November 15th, 2011 15:00

Here's a link for high speed ethernet taps

http://www.lan-wan-tap.com/

5 Posts

November 15th, 2011 16:00

You are huge help. I think the answer is to follow the www.miarec.com/.../how-configure-port-mirroring-dell-powerconnect-2700-series directions to monitor the port where my main drop is plugged in.

I will plug the analysis port into some box and run wireshark on that box to capture the traffic. I have not figured out how to make wireshark show me the bytes per IP, and then for a particular IP, see the bytes per port/protocol, but when I do, I will post the answer here.

7 Posts

November 15th, 2011 18:00

Unfortunally I found out when setting up mirroring in the 27xx series switches they only support 4-source ports at one time.

According to this link the D-Link & Netgear support more source ports with mirroring

www.miarec.com/.../how-configure-port-mirroring-all-switches

5 Posts

November 16th, 2011 12:00

I don't think that will be a problem because there is one port for the drop into my computers so I should be able to monitor that one port to get the whole picture.

7 Posts

November 16th, 2011 15:00

I'm not sure I understand your reply. Are you saying that all traffic at some point is passing through 1-port? If this is not the case you will not see the info that you originaly ask for. If this was a Hub you would could see all the traffic but switchs isolate traffic betreen ports. Thats why you need to either mirror ports or use a Tap.  

5 Posts

November 16th, 2011 16:00

Yes, all traffic is coming through one port. I have one e-net cable drop from my provider and all my traffic comes through that port and is distributed to my boxes through the other ports. I should only need to mirror that port.

7 Posts

November 16th, 2011 16:00

Great, you're all set.

1 Message

May 25th, 2012 15:00

Learning something new shouldn’t make you crazy. That’s why we’re rascally crazy about creating tutorials that you can actually understand. more on how to computers.howto-rascal.com

No Events found!