Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

J

3 Posts

March 26th, 2023 22:00

Configuring port channels on S5248F-ON switches

I'm new to using Dell switches and am a little stuck trying to configure a port-channel between a couple of ports on VLT connected S5248F-ON switches, being used to connect a couple of ESXi servers and a SAN.

I need to configure a port channel to use ports 15 and 16 on each of the two connected switches, to connect to another pair of S5248F-ON switches with their own couple of hosts and SAN. They are effectively two separate sites, so i want to connect a link from each switch in each pair, to each other switch in the other pair.

So basically the following connections:

site1-sw1 to site2-sw1

site1-sw1 to site2-sw2

site1-sw2 to site2-sw1

site1-sw2 to site2-sw2

My understanding is that i should create a port-channel on each switch. But should i be using the same port-channel and channel-group numbers on each switch, or should they be different? And should the numbers be chosen arbitrarily, or is there a relationship like there is between port-groups and physical port numbers?

For example site1-sw1:

int port-channel 10
vlt-port-channel 10

int ethernet1/1/15
channel-group 10 mode active

int ethernet1/1/16
channel-group 10 mode active

Then on site1-sw2:

int port-channel 20
vlt-port-channel 20

int ethernet1/1/15
channel-group 20 mode active

int ethernet1/1/16
channel-group 20 mode active

Thanks

RJ

• 

3.1K Posts

March 27th, 2023 20:00

Hi @JaBobJa,

But should i be using the same port-channel and channel-group numbers on each switch, or should they be different?

You can use the same numbers on each switch that are on site2. Site1, should not be the same, assuming site1 switches are on VLT.

or is there a relationship like there is between port-groups and physical port numbers?

I'm unsure of your question, but here's a sample of port-channel and channel-group configuration on TOR, perhaps should be the related similarity of your configuration: https://dell.to/3TQta53;

No Events found!