Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2011 11:00

Console login issue

I am facing console login issue in dell 6224 power connect switch. kindly guide if some one has any information about it. I am using default cisco setting on console, previously i was able to console it, but now i for unknown reasons i cannot able to console it.

Please guide

909 Posts

Serial settings are:  9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control.

Cisco setting have 'hardware flow control' which will not work with PowerConnect.

6 Posts

I have login in the device through console. created one vlan and applied that vlan on the port. It was on console but after sometime i lost the console access. After giving the power cycle i am still unable to login the device. No logs nothing on the console

6 Posts

Dear Thanks for your reply I have selected the same setting which you have mentioned

Serial settings are:  9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control.

But still the same. I cannot able to login through console. Can anyone/you suggest something else?

909 Posts

Please provide specific information as to what is happening.

My other guess would be that the baud rate was changed on the switch.

909 Posts

October 11th, 2011 12:00

I know this is going to sound like bad tech-support, but... is the serial cable plugged in?   Kill and restart your terminal emulation software (hyperterm, tera term, putty, ...).

6 Posts

October 11th, 2011 12:00

I have already tried everything... definitely the cable is connected and i have also changed the cable and verified. while hyper terminal is the same and not changed....

Any other possibility???

67 Posts

October 11th, 2011 21:00

I assume you have access to more than one switch, yes?  Here's what I would do.  In the spirit of what bh1633 is suggesting, verify your host serial setup is "functional".  Connect to another switch to validate its not your setup that has changed.

Once verified, go back to your switch and try again.  If it fails change the baud rate from 9600 to up.  I've been down this path where others have changed the rate on me... :(

If the baud rate is not it, I've also been on the flip side of the switch where the mangment has actually hung while traffic is uniterrupted.  

If your able, then a reboot of the switch will sometimes work.  I would caution you first to check a few items before proceeding.  If you have a telnet access, issue a "show bootvar" from the CLI.  If one of the 2 images is blank... write back before proceeding.  

If both images are present, then at the first oppertunity a reboot may be in order.  check back and let us know how you did?  

No Events found!