Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 8th, 2018 22:00

Create Username and Password Dell powerconnect 5548

Hi,

I am trying to set a username and password for my powerconnect 5548 switch, I am fairly new with Dell switches so please bear with me. I usually use cisco switches, and I only knew how to set a console password, enable password for the device, no username. Now I have this 5548 but the previous guy from my company forgot to update or share the username and password and I have to reset it without deleting the startup config. Now my questions are:

1.) Can you show me how to create a username and password? I've read some forum and says that the command should be #username password privilege 15 and that should be it, tried a few times but did not work.

2.) I have tried recovering the password for my test switch which is a 5524, it worked but then again, I don't have a username configured on this switch. Will the password recovery procedure bypass the Username as well for the 5548?

Here is a screenshot of my 5548, I can't login because we don't remember the username and password.

5548.PNG

If my questions seem to be confusing I apologize in advance.

Thank you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 9th, 2018 05:00

Choosing the password recovery option in the boot menu will grant you access to the switch CLI without needing to enter a password. Once in the CLI you can create a new privilege 15 user. 

Example:

#username Dell password PowerConnect privilege 15

https://dell.to/2FYzWyq

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

May 8th, 2018 22:00

5548.PNG

Also, If I do the password recovery, will it bypass the username as well?

Thank you.

November 19th, 2018 02:00

Hi,

I'm unable to get access to option 3, menu is fading to fast.

What is the exact keyboard sequence please?

Is it possible to slow this?

Is it possible to reset everything?

Best regards,

Gilles

No Events found!