Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2013 14:00

DHCP server support on PowerConnect 28xx series / address pool per VLAN

Hi,

I am reading through the user manual of the PowerConnect 2824.

I am considering to buy this switch but I still have a question related to the DHCP server functionality.

Here my question: I want to have different VLANs and use the DHCP server functionality on each of them. So can I have different DHCP address pools per VLAN?

Example:

VLAN1 ports 1-16 : IP subnet 192.168.1.0 /24

VLAN 2 ports 17-24: IP subnet 192.168.2.0/24

The manual is not clear on this.

Your help is welcome.

Regards,

Tom

5 Posts

March 14th, 2013 00:00

Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. One more question does this mean that the DHCP server of the 28xx series switch will hand out the IP addresses (from the configured range) on all configured VLANs? So if a device on VLAN 2 issued a DHCP request it will get a IP address from the same pool as e.g. a device on VLAN 1.

Regards,

Tom

5 Posts

March 14th, 2013 13:00

Hi,

thanks this is the information I need.

Thanks for the support.

Tom

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 12th, 2013 14:00

The DHCP client on the switch is very basic, and does not offer this ability. In order to have one DHCP server supply IP addresses to different VLANs, you will need a switch on the network that has VLAN routing and DHCP relay capabilities.

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 14th, 2013 09:00

This info was taken from the firmware release notes.

-DHCP Server is supported on a single interface only (the default VLAN) allowing a user to configure a single pool of addresses

-The network pool cannot be configured on the same subnet as a default IP address. This is also relevant for the case when a static IP address is activated on the device

- Co-existence with other DHCP Servers on the same LAN is not supported. This means that it is user responsibility not to enable this DHCP server if other DHCP Server is present and active on LAN

So when setting up the DHCP server on the switch, it will only provide IP address to clients in the default VLAN, and no other VLANs. VLAN 2 would not be able to receive an IP address from the DHCP server on the switch.

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 08:00

Hi Daniel C,

(actually here suits my question better then on the other place)

I am using the same switch and having similar problem.

VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 (defined by ex collegue) are having access to the external DHCP server (defined by the def.gateway miles away) but VLAN 3 which I just defined gets no IP adress/subnetwork mask/def.gateway automaticly assigned. Is there any way to make VLAN 3 gets also those data automatically assigned from the same external def. gateway as it is the case in VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 ?

best regards!

Milan

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 08:00

Hi Daniel C,

I am using the same switch and having similar problem.

VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 (defined by ex collegue) are having access to the external DHCP server (defined by the def.gateway miles away) but VLAN 3 which I just defined gets no IP adress/subnetwork mask/def.gateway automaticly assigned. Is there any way to make VLAN 3 gets also those data automatically assigned as it is the case in VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 ?

best regards!

Milan

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2016 13:00

Miki_de, DHCP relay is typically used to get a DHCP request from one VLAN to the VLAN that the DHCP server resides on. The 2800 series switches do not offer DHCP relay. Is there any other switches on your network that may be fulfilling this role? You may need to add VLAN 3 to that switch as well.

No Events found!