Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2017 12:00

Dell 6224 Switch and 10Gb modules

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to purchase several XFP 10Gb modules for these switches (FJ727) but I've seen these advertised as 0FJ727 and FJ727.  I could not see any differences but I wanted to make sure.  I will NOT be using these for stacking (I will be connecting various servers/NAS that have 10Gb cards with SFP+).

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference?

Thank you

• 

8.5K Posts

June 16th, 2017 15:00

Hi,

They are the same part, the preceding 0 can be ignored.

212 Posts

June 17th, 2017 12:00

Ah, okay!  ;-)   According to the guide... stacking modules and 10GE CX4 modules for this switch can be configured for either role (Ethernet or Stacking). By default, each module functions according to its Configured Stack Mode from the factory, which is printed on the face of the module. The Configured Stack Mode can also be displayed using the show stack-port command and can be changed using the stack-port command. Upon changing the role of a module, a reboot is required for the change to take effect.

212 Posts

June 16th, 2017 15:00

The two are most likely the same, especially if you are seeing both of these part numbers on the Dell EMC website.  I am wondering though why are you purchasing XFP form factor modules when you are trying to connect to devices that have an SFP+ form factor.  I've not seen XFP in a while, but as I recall the cables seem to be XFP on both ends.  You should probably check out the "Expansion Modules for Dell Networking Switches" guide here:  http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20179394/download

Page 16 of this guide shows the five supported expansion modules for the Dell 62xx series switches.  The FJ727 is listed (bottom pic) and you will see the form factor in the picture.  An SFP+ is also listed at the top (part # U691D) which might be a better solution for connecting other devices using SFP+.

Hope this helps.

-B

9 Posts

June 16th, 2017 16:00

Mostly b/c I can get two FJ727 modules for about half the price of one U691D.  Does anyone know if you can use the stacking module as ethernet (not stacking)?

Thank you for the answers, everyone.

No Events found!