Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2006 16:00

Dell Powerconnect5324 traps with enterprise OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.89

We have a Dell Powerconnect5324 switch, which I am trying to configure for remote monitoring. I have a NMS configured as a trap recipient and am getting traps from the switch. But I am not able to query the enterprise specific trap OIDs coming from the switch with MIBs I have downloaded from Dell FTP site. I did some research on the web and found that the enterprise OID coming from the switch is a RND-MIB oid. I am not able to query the OIDs even after installing the RND-MIB on to my NMS. Here is the enterprise OID coming from the Dell Switch I have

Can you please let me know how to solve this problem?

Thanks

January 30th, 2006 19:00

What exactly are you trying to query?  Can you give me the full OID of the MIB object you are trying to access?  If you are referring to MIB objects in the varbind of a trap, you can't query those.  Those MIB objects only exists to allow a trap to be sent with additional information, querying those parameters afterward will result in no-such-name being returned.

You also cannot query the OID for the traps since those OIDs are not retrievable.

Cuong.

January 31st, 2006 13:00

I'm not sure what WWN is but if you look in your set of MIBs you should find one call "dell-vendor-mib" or something like that.  The MIB objects define here should give you all the information you need such as asset tags, service tags and there is a "product identification" string that should uniquely identify the switch.  Additionally the "sysObjectID" also uniquely identify the switch.

Cuong.

3 Posts

January 31st, 2006 13:00

Thanks Cuong,

Basically I wanted to translate the OIDs using net-snmp command snmptranslate, to get the descripion for the OID. Now I have figured out that all the descriptions for the Enterprise traps are given in teh appolo.txt mib.

I have one more question though,

How do we uniquely identify a dell switch,

Here are the  system level values I am able to get from CLI

Asset Tag, Service Tag, Serial number and MAC Address.

But I don't see any command for to get WWN for the switch.  Is the WWN supported for Dell Powerconnect switches?

Can you please let me know?

Thanks

radhasrid

11 Posts

October 10th, 2011 16:00

Here it is 5 years later and I have the same problem. Dell switches are issuing traps referencing mibs oids not defined by dell. I'm getting the same issue from my two brand new 6248s. Also on my 3448 and 5448s. It seems Dell used the radlan mib as an extension. They have rndmib defined in they dell-vendor-mib but the file is missing.

No Events found!