Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 22nd, 2020 04:00

Dell Switch S3048 is not booting into grub/ONIE/OS

Hi,

Please help to resolve this issue. I have tried my best but no luck. I need help from your expertise. 

actually in ONIE mode, all the partition under /dev/sda were deleted accidentally. after this switch is not able to enter into any grub or OS. here is output that showing by the switch during POST and after POST. 

BIOS (Dell Inc) Boot Selector
S3000 3.24.0.5 (48-port 1G/4-port SFP+ 10G)

CPLD JTAG to normal mode... done.

POST Configuration
CPU Signature 406D8
CPU FamilyID=6, Model=4D, SteppingId=8, Processor=0
Microcode Revision 125
Platform ID: 0x10041832
PMG_CST_CFG_CTL: 0x40006
BBL_CR_CTL3: 0x7E2801FF
Misc EN: 0x4000840081
Gen PM Con1: 0x1008
Therm Status: 0x884A0000
POST Control=0xEA010303, Status=0xE6009700

BIOS initializations...

CPLD JTAG to normal mode... done.

BIOS initializations...

CPGC Memtest for Channel 0 .................. PASS

ECC enabled: channel 0 DECCCTRL_DUNIT_REG=0x000200F3

RTC date Thursday 10/22/2020 16:09:58

POST SPD test ............................... PASS

POST Lower DRAM Memory test
Short memory cell test
Perf cnt (curr,fixed): 0x21790FEBA,0x323568012

POST Lower DRAM Memory test ................. PASS
POST Lower DRAM ECC check ................... PASS

Dell DxE configurations...
Broadcom Preemphasis...
Gen1=0x4, Gen2=0x43
done.
NPU CDR... reg 0x19: exp=0x191, read=0x181... reg 0x13: exp=0x190, read=0x180... done.
SM Bus1 PHY...done

DxE POST
POST PCI test ............................... PASS
POST NVRAM check ............................ PASS
POST overall test results ................... PASS

POST exit: 00 97 00 E6 03 03 00 EA

A2

Version 2.16.1242. Copyright (C) 2013 American Megatrends, Inc.
BIOS Date: 05/22/2015 15:25:58 Ver: 0ACBZ018
Press or to enter setup.

after it shows a black screen. now I don't know what to do. can anyone please help me?

• 

8.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2020 11:00

Sirius7777,

While I am not sure how you accidentally deleted those, I do know you will need to reinstall ONIE, and then afterwards the OS. Normally one shouldn't be going into ONIE to change any of the partitions, as there is no recovery except reinstall and try again. 

Let me know if this helps. 

October 23rd, 2020 00:00

@DELL-Chris H Thank you So much. it resolved my issue. I have successfully installed ONIE.

August 4th, 2021 22:00

Hello @DELL-Chris H ,

Some of the questions I posted initially are clearer to me now, hence the reason for editing my post.

However, I still would like to know if it is possible to backup the OS image on my Dell EMC S3048-ON

switch.

Thank you.

• 

3.1K Posts

August 5th, 2021 01:00

Hello,

I'll try to answer your question based on my knowledge.

1. Is the "show bootvar" command output normal, expecially after installing the above OS version?

Answer: Yes, it looks normal, as it does not have any configuration running. 

2. Why am I unable to verify the "CURRENT CONFIG FILE" from the "show bootvar" command output, even though it is listed in the "dir flash:" command output and I can back it up.

Answer: Usually bootvar is used only for technical troubleshooting on your switch when there is an issue. CURRENT CONFIG FILE should show your configuration when you have completely configured the switch. (You can refer to the link I am attaching below, page 71)

3. Is there a document that explains the Primary, Secondary and Default image files?

Answer: There is no proper documentation explanatory, but you can refer to page 54 on the link below. To my understanding, it is:

Primary Flash: The default storage for a switch software image.
Secondary Flash: The additional storage for either a redundant or an alternate switch software image.
With the Primary/Secondary flash option you can test a new image in your system without having to replace a previously existing image

4. Is it possible to backup the current boot image? If possible please whats the procedure?

Answer: No you can't. 

Reference: https://dell.to/3fy06fV

August 15th, 2021 18:00

Hello @DELL-Joey C ,

Thank you for the clarification.

One other thing though, where do I find the vlan.dat files?

I would also like to take a backup of the file after configuration and would 

appreciate your help finding it.

Also, is there a document that explains the naming convention of these

switches?

I find it difficult to understand the difference in between 7050TX and 7050QX for instance.

Thank you.

• 

3.1K Posts

August 15th, 2021 21:00

Hi,

For OS9 (which you are on), there is no separate file for vLAN settings in such like vlan.dat. It seems that you're familiar with CISCO commands, though, some of the settings commands are similar to CISCO but the switch internal architecture might be different, in sense like the configuration files. So you may have to back up the startup config in order to back up the vLAN settings.

If you do agree on my answer, please mark it as solved. 

April 6th, 2022 21:00

Hello DELL-Joey C,

Thank you for clarifying.

One other question please.

I can not find the firmware file on my S4048 switch that run OS v9 when I run the "dir flash:" command.

Is there a way to backup the OS from ONIE? If there is, please guide me on how to go about it.

Thank you.

• 

3.1K Posts

April 6th, 2022 23:00

Hello @jessieobioma,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to backup OS from ONIE. It is only to install OS. 

April 6th, 2022 23:00

Thank you for responding swiftly.

It seems like  versions below v9.9 of DNOS are no longer available on the dell website.

FTOS for S-Series S4048-ON Platform | Dell US

Any idea how I can download OS versions below those available in the website?

Thank you.

• 

3.1K Posts

April 7th, 2022 02:00

Hi @jessieobioma,

In order to obtain the versions that are not listed publicly, you may need to contact support to raise a ticket for a special request for engineering to release the download for you. 

December 22nd, 2023 18:03

Boa tarde!
Comprei 2 switches Dell S4048T, usados. Porém ambos estão apresentando o seguinte problema:

O ODNOS9 Funciona Normalmente, mas o ONIE trava na tela "Welcome to GRUB"

Alguém saberia me dizer o motivo? Por favor!

• 

2.1K Posts

December 25th, 2023 11:04

Hello, this is the English board. You can write in English here so that our community can be more helpful. Other than that you can create a new thread in the Portuguese board anytime. In a comparable situation, a user unintentionally removed all the partitions under /dev/sda when operating in ONIE mode. This action prevented the switch from accessing any grub or operating system. The resolution to this issue was to reinstall ONIE first, followed by the operating system. It’s important to note that under normal circumstances, one should avoid altering any partitions in ONIE mode, as the only recovery option is to reinstall and start over.  ONIE Software V3.27.1.1 for Dell Networking S4048T Open Networking Switch | Driver Details | Dell US

No Events found!