Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2015 09:00

Dell X1052 10Gbps sfp+ question

Hey,

I Am interested in purchasing a dell x1052 switch but i have a few questions regarding its functionality.

1. Can i aggregate the sfp+ ports on this switch? basically i want to lacp 2 of the 10gbps sfp+ ports and then connect those ports to my server which has a dual intel 10gbps nic card. I would use a twinax cable so that the server and switch have a 20gbps connection between the two. so is this possible?

2. Can i connect the the 10gbps sfp+ port directly to my workstation which has a 10gbps Intel nic card?

Thanks for the help 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 16th, 2015 11:00

After taking a look at one of the switches in our lab, I can confirm that the 10Gb SFP+ ports can be configured into a LAG with each other. Here is an example of how the ports appear in the running config after being configured for link aggregation.

From running-config:

!

interface tengigabitethernet1/0/1

channel-group 1 mode on

!

interface tengigabitethernet1/0/2

channel-group 1 mode on

!

interface tengigabitethernet1/0/3

channel-group 2 mode on

!

interface tengigabitethernet1/0/4

channel-group 2 mode on

!

And here is how they look in the GUI.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 15th, 2015 11:00

The switch does support IEEE 802.3ad standards (static and dynamic, LACP). The switch supports up to 12 link aggregation groups and with up to 4 ports per group. More information on how to setup Link Aggregation can be seen on page 190 of the user guide.

http://dell.to/1UzejqI

The SFP+ port will connect to pretty much any other device as long as the transceivers specs match, and the cable is the proper cable for the transceiver. You can connect it to another switch, router, firewall, server, workstation, storage, pretty versatile.  

10 Posts

September 15th, 2015 20:00

Hey,

I understand that the switch has LACP and conforms to IEEE 802.3ad standards but some switches dont allow the SFP+ ports to be aggregated and can only be used for uplinking or stacking, so i just want to aggregate the sfp+ ports. But based on your post i am assuming that the sfp+ ports can be aggregated together. If I am wrong please correct me.

10 Posts

September 16th, 2015 08:00

I looked at the manual and on page 192, it says the possible lag speeds can only go upto 1000M which is 1gbps. So, does that mean that the sfp+ ports in a lag will only be able to go at only 1Gbps speed instead of 10gbps?

10 Posts

September 17th, 2015 07:00

Thank you very much for the help, and extra effort to answer my question. Now i can definitely  buy this switch.

1 Message

October 3rd, 2019 03:00

Hi There - i appreciate this is an old post however i am currently looking into the exact same scenario by connect 4 x SFP+ ports on my storage server directly to the SFP+ ports on the switch and have read many conflicting posts online on whether this is possible.

Can i just confirm with you the solution worked for you?

1 Message

November 21st, 2019 21:00

Bencraft did you ever get a response to this? I know this post is old but I would like to do the same as you and aggregate the 10gbe ports...  IF the lag does not restrict its members to 1gbe port speeds. What was the final word?

No Events found!