Highlighted
ToneB
1 Copper

Dell switches on a Cisco network

My employer purchased 3 new switches (1-s3048/2-s4048) that are Dell to go along with the new server's we purchased from Dell. I am able to gain connectivity to the network, ping back and forth, and I've even accessed a port (on the Dell) via my laptop and am able to connect to other switches (Cisco) remotely via ssh. However, when I attempt to connect the Dell switches via ssh/putty nothing happens. I get the following log message below on the Dell switch:

*Login Failure for user admin on line vty 0. *

Has anyone experienced this?  I can't post my configs because I work in a secure closed network. I think I tried everything I can think of the last three days. Also, I am authenticating through a Radius server. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Dell switches on a Cisco network

Hi,

Were the steps for SSH on Page 903 done? https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/smartfabric-os10-5-0_en-us.pdf

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
ToneB
1 Copper

I do believe I did most of these things, like enable passwords and generate the keys. However, I will have to go through this list and ensure I did perform these steps. 

When I attempt to access through putty, I am asked for login name. When I enter my username at the login prompt and press enter, it does nothing. After about 40 seconds or so it times out and a login failure message is displayed in the log. 

0 Kudos
ToneB
1 Copper

Yep, did all these things. I think my problem lies in my RADIUS server. Is there something different I have to do different there in NPS vrs what I would for cisco? 

0 Kudos
ToneB
1 Copper

Was able to the the s3048 working using the information posed here:

https://www.darylhunter.me/blog/2010/06/dell-powerconnect-radius-windows-server-2008-nps.html

However, doesn't seem to want to work for the s4048. Thoughts? 

0 Kudos

Try this
radius-server host {IP} key {key} timeout 5
aaa authentication login RadiusList radius local
line vtty 0 2
login authentication RadiusList

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
ToneB
1 Copper

No, the information from the guide did not. Will try what you suggested in your latter post today. 

0 Kudos