Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

November 13th, 2003 15:00

Fast Link Enabled or Not?

Every time power is lost or disrupted from our Dell PowerConnect 5224, they seem to lose the enabled option for FAST LINK....located under SPANNING TREE then PORT SETTINGS....is there a reason? I haven't found any resolution with the firmware updates v2 and v3...they are currently configured with v1....Any help is greatly appreciated......

812 Posts

November 13th, 2003 20:00

Do you lose these settings only during a power disruption or does it happen when you reset/reboot the switch as well?

What procedure are you using to copy the running configuration to the startup configuration? If you are clicking Apply Changes in the web UI, it will only write to the running-config (RAM). To copy the running-config to the startup-config, you must use the "Copy Running Config to File" option on the System/Switch/Configuration page.

I tested one of our 5224s running 3.1.0.8 firmware with both STP and RSTP, and the configuration survived a reboot.

10 Posts

November 14th, 2003 15:00

This occurance happens during any type of power failure and/or power down or reset. When updating config files, I follow the procedures written out be Dell to properly copy over......It sounds like it might be a firmware version causing this instance....? Thanks for the feedback.....

6 Posts

November 23rd, 2003 00:00

As Greg noted, you must copy running-config startup-config, otherwise you are not saving your settings.  After you enable fastlink, do the copy.  Unplug the switch for a minute and plug it back in, the settings will be saved if you performed the copy correctly.  If you are doing this through the web browser and you can';t seem to get it to work, do it through the serial connection.  I have done it both ways, and it works fine.

10 Posts

November 24th, 2003 16:00

I applied new firmware updates and recopied the file.....success...I believe the issue was within an unstable firmware version 1.0 as I had copied the file in the same manner without any success....Thanks for all input......
No Events found!