Highlighted
chengwang
1 Nickel

Gracefully power off Dell Switch

Does anyone know how I can gracefully shut down/power off a Dell Switch S4048-ON? It would be great if there is any cli cmd we could use for that purpose. 

I didn't find anything useful from the manual https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/force10-s4048-on/s4048_on_9.9.0.0_cli_pub-v1/show-syst...

Same question for another switch S5148f-ON.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Gracefully power off Dell Switch

Hi,

I do not see any command for this, is there a reason why you want the graceful shutdown?

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
dev246
1 Nickel

Reason is very simple. I configure dell switch on my desk and i must move them to server room, and to do so i must power off the switch. Yes i can simply pull out power cord, but i prefer perform graceful shutdown first

Sam784
1 Copper

I have the same question, couldn't find a answer anywhere.

0 Kudos
vt1012
3 Silver

There is no graceful shutdown option on any switches I've seen lately. Since there are no spinning drives or data that needs to get written back to the local system, switches are extremely tolerant to power outages. The one thing you will want to do is make sure you have your configuration saved to the startup-configuration before pulling the plug. I would perform another "copy run start" just for good measure before removing power. If you want to be even more cautious, it is always good to backup your configuration to a remote drive (tftp, usb, etc.).  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos