Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2009 05:00

How to add a vlan via SNMP? PowerConnect 5448

Hello,

After hours searching i am stuck, can someone help me with adding a vlan via SNMP?

Some things i tried:
"This is quite simple using the MIB dot1qVlanStaticRowStatus (OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.4.3.1.5.2), to create vlan 2 use  1.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.4.3.1.5.2 -i 4"

Simply if i do this, there is no effect and the vlan will not added in the switch.
Also, if i try to edit an exsisting vlan, i cannot change the value.

Can someone help me out?

98 Posts

September 29th, 2009 17:00

In hen

In order to set the dot1qVlanStaticRowStatus you are required to also set related variable bindings.   Not all 6 of the options for the oid are supported with the 54xx but the following are supported:   

1 (active);

4 (create and go; activate the VLAN);  

6 (destroy; delete the VLAN).

The "create and wait" option is not supported.  Most importantly, you must provide values for all the fields in the MIB table at the same time in a Multi-varbind.  

For example, to create a VLAN 7 and assign port 1 you would provide values like these in the varbind:

dot1qVlanStaticName.7                   vlan-seven
dot1qVlanStaticEgressPorts.7         '80:'
dot1qVlanForbiddenEgressPorts.7  '00:'

dot1qVlanStaticUntaggedPorts.7     '80:'

dot1qVlanStaticRowStatus.7             4

Then set them all at once.  In this example, all OIDs must be followed by a .7 if you want to create a VLAN 7.  

Hope this helps,

Victor

8 Posts

November 20th, 2009 06:00

Hello,

What are the types of these bindings?

dot1qVlanStaticName.7                   vlan-seven
dot1qVlanStaticEgressPorts.7         '80:'
dot1qVlanForbiddenEgressPorts.7  '00:'
dot1qVlanStaticUntaggedPorts.7     '80:'
dot1qVlanStaticRowStatus.7             4

I tried every type with the first binding but it wont give any result at all.

Do you also have to set every binding at once or can they get set with pauses between it?

98 Posts

November 20th, 2009 08:00

All of these are of macro type OBJECT-TYPE with an access of read-create.  The syntax for each are:

dot1qVlanStaticName                 = SnmpAdminString
dot1qVlanStaticEgressPorts       = PortList
dot1qVlanForbiddenEgressPorts  = PortList

dot1qVlanStaticUntaggedPorts    = PortList
dot1qVlanStaticRowStatus          = RowStatus

this and other information on these nodes can be found in the Q-BRIDGE-MIB posted on support.dell.com, select > Drivers and Downloads > Choose a Model > Networking > Powerconnect > 54xx > Dell-Driver. 

You will need to use a multi-varbind SET to set all simultaneously.   Depending on the app, editing each variable for a single multivariable SET could be a little different so you may want to begin by searching the documentation to see how multiple variable bindings are implemented.

- Victor

8 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 10:00

Thank you vistor, ive got it working now.

No Events found!