Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2016 15:00

How to enable ports on a PowerEdge M630 switch (R1-2210)???

Good morning.

We have purchased a VRTX PowerEdge M630 with an R1-2210 switch. We want to use one of the SFP ports so we can have a 10GB link. We cannot figure out how to map an external port to an internal port so the SFP port will show up under windows server 2012. The external port is live but how do we allow the servers to use it? 

The two copper ports worked straight away with no problem, but there must be an extra step to getting SFP ports working?

Cheers!

• 

8.5K Posts

July 5th, 2016 16:00

Hi,

Which slot is the server in that you are wanting to connect? Page 34 has the mappings for the ports http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-vrtx_reference%20guide6_en-us.pdf

3 Posts

July 5th, 2016 22:00

We have a server in slots 1 and 2. I see how the internal ports map to the servers but there are only ever two internal ports per server live for the copper ports and I am not sure how to make another live for the external SFP port.

• 

8.5K Posts

July 6th, 2016 09:00

What model servers and which NIC is used? Does the NIC have more than two ports?

• 

8.5K Posts

July 6th, 2016 15:00

Right, on the NICs. If you only have two NIC ports you are not going to able to connect it to a 3rd network port. 

3 Posts

July 6th, 2016 15:00

We have two servers, both PowerEdge M630. Do you mean the NIC on the PowerEdge M630s? I'm not too sure, I can't find exactly how many ports they have on CMC or online, if they only have two ports how do we make it use one of the SFP ports?

No Events found!