Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 27th, 2022 16:00

I need to change my PowerConnect 6224 switch

HI friends,

I need to exchange my PowerConnect 6224 switch which is configured with another PowerConnect 6224.

I don't know this area of networks but I want to learn to take care of my infrastructure.

What should I do first before removing the switch?

What should I do after removing the bad switch?

I want the step by step to change only one PowerConnect 6224 that is used for communication of my storages and servers.

Thanks.

• 

8.5K Posts

January 31st, 2022 08:00

Page 18 of that guide, failover the master to the other switch then do the same steps.

• 

278 Posts

January 28th, 2022 07:00

Hello SandroAlvesBR,

Thank you for choosing Dell.

To provide you correct troubleshooting steps, I need some additional information:

-What firmware is on it?

-Are you going to remove a switch  or change to another one?

-Does the switch, you would like to exchange, work?

-Could you please, if possible, also share a network topology?

I would like also to share this KB article, how to create a backup configuration of the switch.

https://dell.to/3HanHip

A backup should always be performed before  replacing a switch.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Thanks.

January 28th, 2022 08:00

Hi,

I will try to answer by looking at the WEB Gui console that I have access to:

-What firmware is on it?
- Firmware Version 3.3.12.1

-Are you going to remove a switch or change to another one?
- I'll exchange it for a new one that Dell will send me.

-Does the switch, you would like to exchange, work?
- Yes. The problem is only the FANs.

-Could you please, if possible, also share a network topology?
- There are two 6224s connected in stacking
- They are connected to iSCSI networks
- The LAN servers are connected to them

I'm attaching some images too.

Thanks.

SWITCH_1.pngSWITCH_2.pngSTACKING_CONFIG_1.pngSTACKING_CONFIG_2.pngLAG_CONFIG_1.pngVLAN_CONFIG_1.pngVLAN_CONFIG_2.pngVLAN_CONFIG_3.png

January 28th, 2022 08:00

Hi,

I need to change switch 2.

Thanks.

• 

8.5K Posts

January 28th, 2022 10:00

Great, thanks for the information. Since it isn’t the master it should be straight forward. Page 16 https://dell.to/32EsVE7 remove the old member. Move stacking modules to the new one, boot up, make sure firmware is the same version. Connect cables reboot whole stack and it should join and get the config from the master.

• 

8.5K Posts

For the first question, yes just upgrade or downgrade to match, though we would recommend both switches be on the latest version. The MAC addresses of the two switches are different and that is what is used for stack membership.

Hi,

the new one I should do the procedure of just connecting it with a serial cable and converter on the notebook, put an ip of the manager to access it and update the firmware or downgrade if by chance it comes newer?

I follow the procedure you sent me.

I connect the cables, restart everything the primary stacking will transfer all the settings to the new one?

How does the primary know there is a new one after removal?

Thanks.

January 28th, 2022 12:00

Hi,

sorry because I'm new to networks, I know the basics.

I don't need to copy any of the switch that I'm going to remove?

I don't need to configure anything on the new switch and nothing on the main one to inform that it will be part of the stacking?

Because as you are saying, I just need to access it to see the firmware version and that I think I can do via console cable.

That is, if by chance it is already in the version, just call?

Thanks.

• 

8.5K Posts

January 28th, 2022 14:00

Yes,

That is right, the master will handle reconfiguring the new switch.

January 28th, 2022 22:00

Hi,

as a future curiosity.

If I need to change the primary switch. Can you tell me the procedure?

Thanks.

February 28th, 2022 16:00

Hi,

I will tell you the procedure I did and it worked.

Replace stacked slave switch (with two switches)

1- Turn off the slave switch
2 - Disconnect the stacked cables
3 - Disconnect the network cables or move to another switch in the stack (This can cause serious damage, if you keep it powered up and turn on the replaced switch even with the stacked cables disconnected!!!)
4 - Keep the same firmware version or update to the same version of the stack (If you don't want to do this via WebGui, you need to connect this switch to a computer outside the environment and do the upgrade or downgrade procedure. I don't have to connect anyway current network or use the current environment, you will lose access!)
5 - Don't worry about the configurations that are in the new switch, when it is inserted in the stack the master switch will push all the global configurations (vlan, sppanin-tree and port-channel) and it will import the configurations of the switch ports that you removed for this now.
6 - Enable the switch ports you will use for stacked
7 - Turn off the new switch
8 - Connect the stacked cables
9 - Turn on the switch
10 - Note that the stack master switch will show some characters on the console and that's it!
11 - Note that the swtich replace you will not be able to connect via console cable to it now.

PS: There is a difference between REMOVE a switch or REPLACE switch.

If you only need REPLACE, you only need to execute the PHYSICAL procedure, no LOGICAL procedure is necessary with the exception of the initial part of the configuration of the ports that you will use in the REPLACE switch that need to be configured and the firmware, NOTHING ELSE!

PS1: Do not run any switch removal command or remove the switch you are going to replace. NO! NO! Do not do this! If you do, you will lose all port settings from the switch you are replacing.

PS2: Remember that all the global settings mentioned above and also all the port settings of each switch in the stack are registered on all switches. So if you remove a switch from the stack you are removing its CONFIGURATIONS too.

Thanks.

No Events found!